Do I want a Lexus RX something?

Edde

Thinking about time to replace the volvo mommy wagon I use now for daily. V70 2.4T very comfy and all but has a slop in the tranny requiring hydraulic servos or some such that ain't getting done in my driveway. Love euro styling but can't help but be tempted by the reliability of the asian.

Been looking around at used RX's. Just need to haul crap around and be able to tow a small/medium boat trailer...

Thoughts or experience? Other suggestions?

A few years ago, when my son was born, we looked into these for a new family car. What i read at the time suggested the AWD models has very poor "off pavement" capability. Obviously they are for any real type of off roading but it seemed that driving anywhere off pavement was not recommended.

Depending on the size needed you may want to take a look at the Audi Q5. Seems to have great reviews year in and year out. Oddly the larger Q7 had poor reviews.

My coworker just bought a new Honda pilot. Looks nice. No real experience with them.

Huh, not exactly what I was expecting :( Appreciate it though. I don't know, the Pilot is function but lacking in form if you know what I mean. After all, I drive a Quest not an Accord :P

Love the Audi's but need to pay cash so no huge price tags are in my future for a car. I prefer to toss my big chunks down on over priced stocks :lol:

The first generation RX were not as good as the newer generations. The first gen AWD had tranny issues after high miles. In my wrecking yard years, we sold alot of those trannies.

Now the newer models are very reliable. My sister in law is on her 3rd RX. She drives the living hell out of them! Her 2012 RX350 has 200,000 MILES ON IT!

She has beat the hell out of it, her husban uses it to haul crap, drops the seats loads the hell out of it with heavy restaurant related goods.

In all those miles, she has only changed fluids, tires and brakes. Just recently radiator was changed on recommendation as well as thermostat.

But that has been basically it. It is not an off road vehicle, its for pavement. So if you want off road, you better get a 4Runner.

Oh, and stay the hell away from the Audi! They are complete steaming piles of fecal matter! Their resale value is garbage! Compare same year model RX and Audi and you will see the difference.

The first generation RX were not as good as the newer generations. The first gen AWD had tranny issues after high miles. In my wrecking yard years, we sold alot of those trannies.

Now the newer models are very reliable. My sister in law is on her 3rd RX. She drives the living hell out of them! Her 2012 RX350 has 200,000 MILES ON IT!

She has beat the hell out of it, her husban uses it to haul crap, drops the seats loads the hell out of it with heavy restaurant related goods.

In all those miles, she has only changed fluids, tires and brakes. Just recently radiator was changed on recommendation as well as thermostat.

But that has been basically it. It is not an off road vehicle, its for pavement. So if you want off road, you better get a 4Runner.

Oh, and stay the hell away from the Audi! They are complete steaming piles of fecal matter! Their resale value is garbage! Compare same year model RX and Audi and you will see the difference.

In an earlier thread I acknowledged the issue with Audi - I'd be buying several years old and as such expect nothing but troubles potentially. I know folks love 'em... until they don't.

I would think an RX a few years old with 100k could be good for another 100k. How far back can I go and still be in the better models?

The old RX with the 3.3L are the early ones. Most newer ones come with the 3.5 DOHC engine. If you buy a newer one with the 3.5 in it, they take about 7 quarts of oil and have a canister filter. If you plan on doing your own oil changes it helps to buy the cup for it.

The newer motors are real stout and don't have crazy issues. They are also timing chain driven and you won't have to worry about a timing belt like the early models.

The early models would have issues with vacuum ports, leaky gaskets, etc.

Toyota cars do pretty much run forever.

The old RX with the 3.3L are the early ones. Most newer ones come with the 3.5 DOHC engine. If you buy a newer one with the 3.5 in it, they take about 7 quarts of oil and have a canister filter. If you plan on doing your own oil changes it helps to buy the cup for it.

The newer motors are real stout and don't have crazy issues. They are also timing chain driven and you won't have to worry about a timing belt like the early models.

The early models would have issues with vacuum ports, leaky gaskets, etc.

Toyota cars do pretty much run forever.

See now that's better, thank you :)

Guess I can look and drive and see what happens...