Failed emissions-rookie mistake

pcristquester

Idk which states do these required tests for smog and emissions. All I know is I put only 1,500 miles since my last test 2 years ago which failed as having a bad MAS supposedly. Got another one and passed.

So, 2 years later (today) I fail on high NO (2558), maximum allowable is 717, but only on the "higher speed" 25 mph portion which was at 2585 rpm (after secondary injector kicks on I think)Passed great on the low speed 15 mph. I get home and find the vacuum hose from the turbo waste gate to the ovcp came off. I say rookie mistake because it came off earlier in the day and did nothing to rectify it after putting it back on like a clamp or zip-tie to keep it from coming back off for the test. I'm hoping this is why it failed. Anyone with expertise on this please chime in.

Make sure the EGR is working and make sure the cooling system is working 100%. Running these cars a little hot will cause a NOX fail. Don't get tested on a hot day. Bad vacuum advance or too advanced timing will also make you fail.

Not hard to pass smog in CA. My MPI car passed.

Ill have to figure out how to check the egr, but it probably only has less than 5k miles on it. Cooling system all works as it should and has a 180 stat in it. I checked the timing just before and it was right at 10 btdc. Not sure about the vac advance, but it's about the same age as the egr. It was pretty hot out and I had run it on and off for a couple hours before rolling it in there. I thought it would be better nice and warmed up. Pissed me off that the tech had it idling for like 10 minutes before running it on the dyno, though. Thanks for input and tips, Jeff.

She passed today. Only thing I did other than hooking up the vacuum line from the waste gate to the ovcp, was confirm all other vacuum lines were connected and confirmed vac advance held vacuum with the suction and hold on the tongue test, and drove it straight there from my garage to have it as cool as possible. The weather was about 15 degrees cooler also, so from now on I'll take it in when it's less than 90 outside. Such bs that I even have to do this with it being as old as it is, especially the lack of miles it's even driven. Can't wait to retire and go somewhere where I can fart outside, without fear of the man penalizing me.

A couple of follow-up points...

1. Find a test station that will do a pretest, this prevents the car from being thrown into the gross-polluter category if it fails out of the box

2. The EGR valve and NOx can be an issue. So pull it and and shoot some carburator cleaner through it and the throttle body passages, Note unmounting the EGR can be a pain with the (2) long OE bolts, I replaced the bolts with studs/nuts makes reinstall and gasket lineup much easier

3. Change oil/filter

4. Kleen or change the air filter

5. Decrease the timing slightly a couple of degrees like down to 10 degrees, this will limit the NOx

The above points can make a difference, as our TSi/Starions have been flagged by as borderline cases. There were multiple recalls in the late 80s and 90s by the EPA for various smog issues. I bought my TSi new in 87 and have had to pass the CA smog tests a few times over the last 30 years.

Just my $0.02... ;)

A couple of follow-up points...

1. Find a test station that will do a pretest, this prevents the car from being thrown into the gross-polluter category if it fails out of the box

2. The EGR valve and NOx can be an issue. So pull it and and shoot some carburator cleaner through it and the throttle body passages, Note unmounting the EGR can be a pain with the (2) long OE bolts, I replaced the bolts with studs/nuts makes reinstall and gasket lineup much easier

3. Change oil/filter

4. Kleen or change the air filter

5. Decrease the timing slightly a couple of degrees like down to 10 degrees, this will limit the NOx

The above points can make a difference, as our TSi/Starions have been flagged by as borderline cases. There were multiple recalls in the late 80s and 90s by the EPA for various smog issues. I bought my TSi new in 87 and have had to pass the CA smog tests a few times over the last 30 years.

Just my $0.02... ;)

Thank you for tips first of all. Here are my thoughts on them.1) I discussed the pre-test idea with them yesterday. There are no more penalties like there used to be for a gross polluter result. Therefore, I would have had to pay for a minimum of 2 tests with no benefit. Sometimes cars will barely pass on a pre-test, then barely fail on the real test after. Then, at least a 3rd test after repairs would have to take place. 2) My EGR was bought brand new from Mitsu and the passages in the manifold were cleaned at that time probably only 5k miles ago. As good as it runs, I seriously doubt it has built up enough junk in there in that span. 3/4) Oil and filter is new (20w50 Mobil 1/Wix), clean and lightly oiled K&N. Timing was set exactly at 10 btdc, maybe decrease it next time to 8-9?

Mine failed last year for the first time in the 10+ years I've had it. EGR seemed to have been dirty, cleaned it and it passed.

Not hard to pass the test if the car is running as it should. But it helps to know someone that can at least pretest it for you before throwing it to the wolves, DMV computers.

These cars pass easily if things are right on them. The egr is certainly a problem area. I've never replaced one just clean and clean again. Use mighty vac to pull the unit open and douche it real well and use brushes. I get long pipe cleaners to help running fluid up the manifold ports. Once it's clean with proper vac lines and plumbing it should not need anything else, assuming you're not running big aftermarket injectors, etc.

Can't comment about all year TSis' outside of CA but..

I bought my 87 TSi new in SoCal and know that there were (3) different recalls about the emission system including the ignition, spark plugs and fuel injectors.

I still have a couple of the stickers under the hood applied by the Chrysler dealer... :huh:

Since I have always been in SoCal, we have had my TSi smog tested 15 times and in reviewing some of the older test results one can see how CA has actually revised the standards making it harder to pass... :mad:

1 major change was that in 1990 they tested @ Idle & 2500 RPM, but now test @15MPH & 25MPH. Also the standards for NOx have been added & titened over the years. Though I have always passed... :D

The major challenging area for me has been the EGR and throttle body. About 10 years ago, I tried to get a replacement OE EGR through Mitsu but was told it was no longer available. However since I travel to the Orient 2 or 3 times a year, I have a great contact in Japan and he got me a brand new OE EGR from Mitsu Japan. After installing the later EGR and keeping things kleen, my TSi passes OK. But having a close friend who is a Star certified Test station, he will do a pre-test for me @ N/C.

Just my $0.02.... ;)

Edited by M Code

Here are my failed and passed tests. Only thing I "fixed" or changed between them are: 1)Reconnected vacuum line from turbo wastegate to ovcp (had slipped off on the first run) and 2)Only drove it 3 miles from the house straight to the test station "cold", so car was running cooler plus the weather was cooler. http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag335/pcrist/028_zpsrs6hnufp.jpg http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag335/pcrist/028_zpsrs6hnufp.jpg

Interesting numbers...

But 1 thing I noticed was ur RPM @25 MPH, mine was 1771 RPM yours was 2538 RPM...

Your tester must of kept it in a lower gear while mine went to a higher gear. Your overall measured numbers are about 20% higher than mine, but U have 100K more miles than I do.

Anyway glad U got it passed..

Take care...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Smog technicians can "fudge" the test if they think they can get it to fail and send you to their shop for repairs. Test should be done 15 mph 1st gear, 25 mph 2nd gear. By doing the tests in 2nd and 3rd gear they load the engine below it's normal operating range. That can lead to higher #s on the test and a possible fail. A smog test guy tried to do that on my 91 toyota pickup. Barely passed when he did the test in 2nd and 3rd. But the previous years test done in 1st and 2nd was super clean. The guy tried to claim my cat was going bad and I needed a tune up. I had just done a tune up and my cat was new.

Lesson here is watch the guy do the test. Don't sit in the waiting room.

I was wondering about how the rpm factored into results. Wasn't sure if higher rpm would be cleaner or not. I specifically asked about mph and rpm requirements. I was told they have to be within a certain rpm at both speeds, but didn't get the range. Maybe it's vehicle specific, idk. Just glad you offered advice regarding what to check and to not take it in hot. It worked...this time. We'll see in 2017.