HARMONIC DAMPER PULLEY BOLT WILL NOT LOOSEN

MAJESTIC1

89 Conquest TSI-removing head, timing cover, water pump, etc., but unable to loosen the damper bolt In either direction. Trying to verify it is a left-hand thread and comes off clockwise. Belts & everything removed but engine rotates even in gear. Need assistance & solution for removal. Also trying not to disconnect A/C Compressor lines to remove compressor bracket from timing cover.Thanks,Dennis K. Moody: Ret. Air Force / NavyCONQUESTTITURBO89@LIVE.COM Edited by MAJESTIC1

Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey. A lot of guys use an extended wrench on the crank pulley bolt allowing it to rest on the ground while they bump the starter motor. I've never had to do that but its a good suggestion.

Battery dead-not running for 4 years-replacing head 2 days ago. Didn't want to damage engine. Now know it's not frozen up. Thought putting in gear would hold engine to remove damper bolt.

Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey. A lot of guys use an extended wrench on the crank pulley bolt allowing it to rest on the ground while they bump the starter motor. I've never had to do that but its a good suggestion.

I always liked clockwise and counter clockwise.

I have used a chain wrench around the pulley, many times. It's a bit difficult to thread through the narrow spot at the bottom but it does work quite well and they are relatively cheap.

done it and works great