Starion 24 Hours of LeMons

Squrlsquash

first thing do not mutilate a weber carb they are super hard to find and NO gain will be had by removing the choke shaft

huge diff from a clutch fan and a flex fan , compairing all 3 , clutch , flex and elec , the clutch fan uses less power then the rest

be ready for a sad ride droping 80 HP is a big drop :)

huge diff from a clutch fan and a flex fan , compairing all 3 , clutch , flex and elec , the clutch fan uses less power then the rest

Not true. Electric fans pull around 0.4 HP by loading the alt. Clutch and flex fans depending on size and vehicle can take 10-20+ hp to drive. A clutch fan wont draw much hp when not engaged but still more than electric fans. In a racing situation you will be making more heat so the clutch fan will be engaging alot.

This is why almost every car or truck made in the last decade has electric fans. Even full size trucks.

Will decide on fan situation later on then.

Junkyard and aftermarket electric fans are easy to come by, as are clutch fans from monteros.

Will be on a rwd starion btw

Fyi minis have mechanical fans on the crank with the radiator on the side of the motor, only difference is sideways radiator placement

Fyi minis have mechanical fans on the crank with the radiator on the side of the motor, only difference is sideways radiator placement

That's why I mentioned it.

There have been studies done on flex vs clutch vs electric fans. Electric fans by far use the least hp. By using less hp they also increase mpg. Studies have proved on commercial fleets that switching to electric fans saved a significant amount of fuel over the year. That's why almost all car manufacturers have switched to electric fans.

Better mpg helps on the track as well. Wasting 10 hp on a fan instead of it going to the tires is counter productive. Better mpg also means less fuel stops.

Figuring on electric fans, put together the tep kit on my road car that cycles the fans on/off full power based on the temp switches.

probably junkyard fans, read once on here that subaru fan motors fit on our fan blades?

I think i'll make my own setup with a relay for each fan wired separately and a switch for each that bypasses the temp input to be able to turn them on if there's an issue.

On another note, washed and began putting together my spare head and noticed that the roller rockers i bought from a member on here a while back are too wide. The roller section is wider than the factory rockers, the two rockers next to each other on each cylinder touch. Looks like more than half a mm needs to come off each rocker where they touch, (right where the pin that holds the roller is)

Anyone else experience this? can post a pic if needed.

Maybe i got the wrong rockers?

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like the wrong rockers to me, my rollers looked like stock but were a different ratio. Either way, why mess with rollers when you're running a carb and killing most of the power anyway?