Leaky Anti-Freeze in Floor board

81zfan

It's been a while since I've been on here and the quest has been shoved to the side for a while,but I finally got it running and I'm going at it 110% now.

Question is... I was letting it idle today and was adjusted stuff and noticed antifreeze dripping out of the floor. I looked under the dash and could see it running down wires and such, so my guess is, it's the heater core! Is there a easy way to replace this or is it one of those"tear into it till you get it" things.

Does anyone have a "How to" on this or is there a write up on here? I've searched a little but couldn't really find anything with much help

Thanks guys!!

Nooooooooo not that.

Couple of things come to mind...

One for sure the 2 inch hose on the

Heater core is leaking.

Second thought is that the head might be cracked

Between the valves. When boost is created it puts boost

Pressure in the radiator system and forces past that small hose

On the heater core.

Or just simple radiator pressure is passing by the little hose.

The BAD is the entire dash and all that is there including the brackets

Need to come out to replace said little 2 inch hose.

If your replacing that hose might as well get new hose clamps and

Dash speakers and replace and lube all the stuff back there.

Check FAQ for how to do it.

Well it is running down the passenger side only, and I mean RUNNING!!! I can see it wet right in the center behind the radio and stuff almost against the firewall. Talked to Dad a min ago and was explaining to him what it was doing. when at idle it has like a bubbly/trickly/ gurgle sound.

I've been running the car for a couple day...not driving, just idling and reving. Haha

Ir's not been leaking any that I could tell until today.

I hope like hell it's not a head or something that major! Head and engine is 4 years old but only has 600 miles on it

Oh I forgot to mention. I wasn't driving or anything of that nature when I noticed it, it was only at idle and did it continually..that sound led me to believe it was the Core because I have experienced it with other car's

Oh, I have not intentions on running or driving the car right now. I'm just trying to get it ready to drive before another year comes and goes. I appreciate the link and the help. I just have to motivate myself to do this now

That was my initial thought when I found out the problem. Mine is Def not a daily, so I guess I'll weigh my options and go from there

If he's only got 600 miles on the build I'm going to lean toward the 2" hose. Bypass the heater core and confirm the leak has stopped. Make plans to pull the dash when you have a weekend free. Take lots of pics so you can put it back together correctly. and dont forget to unplug the clock or it will explode when you pull the dash out. ;)

I'm goin to pressure test it before I do anything, and then I'll go from there,

I wanna take my time and do it right if I end pulling the dash, I sure don't wanna bust it or anything.

I've heard that clock is a tricky little thing. I'll have to make double notes to unplug it

the clock is easy just need 2 butter knives or something thin to get in the sides to push the retaining tabs inwards towards the center of the clock

then it slides right out.

look for a pic of a clock all ready taken out and you should see what i mean.

my only problem was reconnecting all the relays and connectors. there was one i missed and it took a day and a half to figure out where it was

but i got it. the car would not start....

the good thing is you can do the heater BOX refresh. grease al the mechanics of it and replace the dash speakers.

Thanks Import for all the info and help on this subject. It looks pretty straight forward once you get the cluster and stuff out of the way. I'm gonna do the pressure test this evening and then start on taking the dash out or I may just re-route it and run it through the A/C lines :ph34r: ;)
  • Like 1

If you use the AC evaporator core for heat you can never use it for AC again. The contamination that will get inside the evaporator will prevent the AC from ever working again unless you replace the evaporator.

Best just to do it right and replace the hose. Not hard to pull the dash and a good quality hose will last 20+ years.