Hyundai water neck a fit for the G54B?

That stat housing is pretty cool find.

A couple of reservations, although it is a perfect fit and a great alternative for MPI users because of the shorter neck. The original design stat housing that it resembles was revised in design in 87' to place the turbo feed line into the housing's neck where the the casting is less pourous. The 87' housing that is used as an example next to the Hyundai example is damaged from the ear bolt hole cracking another design weakness in the casting.

There are other alternatives in the aftermarket available, stamped and chromed that are more resilient to failure.

The strenth of the banjo fitting and the restriction it creates are design factors that were calculated to allow the cooling system the time to extract excessive heat in order for the oil flow to do it's job more efficently.

Our early vehicle model's design was with a turbocharger that did not use water to help cool the shaft bearing(s).

I'm pretty sure they were from a 92' Chevy, SB & BB both fit and some are o'ringed.

I've seen them myself and was surprised they worked, but some are clean and some are junk so you have to be careful.

Your find is a reliable source but not so durable, the aftermarket ones are not a reliable source but durable. (look on eBay)

The thermal plastics that the factory uses now are sort of disposable and you have to be pretty careful with their R&R so I would think if you go to service the stat with the Hyundai just keep a spare on hand although cast aluminum is more durable than plastic you would think.

Some of the aftermarket Chevy housings have super thick flanges and are practically bullit proof plus you don't have the different thermal expansion rates between the bolt and the housing.

• 2 months later...