knocking from back of engine on acceleration

Stock 88 Starion I've been working on, on and off. I've done all work needed to get the engine fresh like water pump, oil, tune up, belts, hoses and so on. I also check my oil and water constantly. I just ordered new injectors because my stock are no good.

So today I drove the car because I put fuel injector cleaner in it. Drove it kind of hard and opened it up for the first time shifting at about 4-4.5k rpm for about a minute of so then noticed on the way home that I'm Now get a knock from the rear of the engine when at about 2-3k rpms. It goes away at idle and above low rpm.

I am so stressed! My oil pressure is pretty good judging from the stock gauge but a little low at idle.

Any thoughts on this would be great. I could cry :(

I think you need to put it up on a lift an pull the oil pan to check it out properly, otherwise you're not gonna be able to say for sure WHAT'S causing the knock. Could you be a little more specific about low oil pressure at idle?

My gauge is reading just under the middle line for the oil pressure when its idling but is fine otherwise. I read on this forum that its usually the gauge because I have no ticking and physically can see plenty of oil getting to the top of the engine.

I also drained my oil and there's no metal shavings.

The knock is only between 2k and 3k rpm or so and only if I I put moderate to heavy pressure on the throttle.

Well,,,, i can tell you this, my friend had the same kinda issue on his 87,,,,, i was thinking balance shafts,,,,, which is very possible..... but it was rod 4... so take the time now and inspect both before it turns into a bigger issue. and please please pull your oil cooler and clean the snot out of it. both directions to ensure its medically clean... been many of people who repaired and rebuilt motors,,,, that never cleaned the oil cooler,,,, and the motor was trash in a few hundred miles. inspect inspect inspect,,,,, till the smoking gun is found. That is my best advice. because it will not go away, just get worse.

I agree with Tye,

BUT

I also agree with BC99.Inspect for any external causes of noise like metal to metal contact. You say it does NOT make any sound when free revving but it does when you are driving? So it only makes noise when under a load. Doesnt sound like rod knock to me then.

When you inspected the chain, it will have play on one side (passenger) because it receives tension from the oil pump when the engine is running.

How many miles on engine?

Does it have balance shafts?

What weight oil did you use?

How do you know the noise is at the rear of the engine and not the trans?

Manual or automatic?

Dont fret yet, was the oil container clean before you drained oil into it? Maybe the flakes were left over from prior fluid changes. I suggest pulling the oil filter and draining it into a clean clear container and then inspecting with light.

FYI, idle oil pressure is 11 psi per FSM.

Phil

Edited by Funky Phil

When I put new oil in the car I used an additive that had a swirly sparkly look to it which resembled metal dust in the oil.

I really think its a rod bearing after all my research. That was my original thought to begin with.

What bothers me though is I've had lots of 80 model cars with much higher miles, in worse shape and have never had so much trouble out of a car. Even after all the work I've done to it trying to ensure this wouldn't happen.

Now I may end of having to part out a good car because I'm not a good enough mechanic to get it fixed right.

I'll jack it up and see what I can do myself, but this is all a bummer.

There have been a few that did replace rod bearing with the motor still in the car but, you can have that sucker pulled in less than an hour. the time you would spend on a creeper doing bearings could be better spent standing up with your motor on a stand doing it.