New guy,old car

Keoni1113

Howdy. Despite owning my 87 Starion for nearly two years now I have finally gotten around to joining this forum. The starion itself is a bit of a rescue car. The story basically goes that my brother bought it and then preceded to drive it to the ground. When it wouldn't go anymore and his mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong he offered to call it "even" to take the car in exchange for the labor put into it. Upon hearing this I scrounged up the few hundred bucks to pay the mechanic and used a AAA tow to take it home. Which is how I, someone who had only before this only point driven a 77 Corolla and has only the skills to change oil and wiper blades, ended up with my Starion. Over the past couple years when I could save up extra cash and with the help of some much more gear head oriented friends this Starion has gotten running again. While the main problem is still present. I am making progress into finding the resolution and learning a lot about the history and mechanics of this gem of a car. I will post pics soon.

Why thanks everybody. I have already been reading the virtual mechanic posts for quite some time now. My Starion suffers from the classic bucking problem when after you feel it go into boost. And after 4 mechanics over the past couple years have replaced a lot of sensors and parts. I'll leave a full list or work done when I post in the correct section. Still awaiting pics. Weather up where I'm at has been a bit crappy in the mornings so I haven't been able to take them before I go to work

Yeah. I've been looking through my 87 service manual to get a hang of where that is/ what it looks like. I'm pretty much new to cars altogether. Hell of a way to start learning haha

Thanks all, and I may take you up on that offer cooljs. I should also clarify that there has been a lot of mods made to the car before it even belonged to my brother. At least to the point where the mitsu dealer up here didn't know what to do with it. I will check the vaccum advance tomorrow.I'll also try to make a trip over radio shack to get some stuff in order to do the diagnostic test with the ecu

Here is a pic of under the hood for those of you who would like to see. On the last trip to the mechanic he seemed convinced the FPR was shot and an adjustable one was needed. So I got one from SPA Turbo that fits in place of the old one. No fabrication or custom fitting needed.post-27125-0-40610400-1427125677_thumb.jpgpost-27125-0-40610400-1427125677_thumb.jpg

Will do import warrior. I also did that vaccum advance suck test you suggested. It was sycking in air for a quick second until I heard a clack and then resistance.

That makes a lot of sense. Last mechanic I took it to did a real time diagnostic test. He said that the readings showed that when it went into boost the fuel pressure went all over the place. From giving it all fuel to none. He suspected an electrical issue or the ECU but he couldn't say for sure what it was exactly.

when testing the fuel pressure do you have a gauge on the car so you can monitor the pressure while it is running?

how did the mechanic test the fuel pressure ? on a dyno ?

to sum up the VAC advance on the distributor basically the vacuum adjusts the advance. once in to boost the advance is designed to retard the advance

under boost a little. if the advance has a leak it will literally flip from min or no advance to the other max advance and not retard the timing properly.

that flip usually depends on vacuum or boost and can happen at about 2500 3000 RPM range.

I am unsure how he tested the FPR. I believe he used a regular old gauge to adjust the pressure to what its supposed to be while idling. I need to fiddle with the FPR because Now in the mornings it has a little trouble starting in the mornings. It starts chugs for a little and then dies. After repeating this process a couple times it runs right as rain. Much less rich.

Okay. I'll pick up a psi gauge next trip to auto zone. If I remember correctly just connect it to the vac line in the FPR and let the car run for a little before adjusting the FPR. Clockwise for less fuel, counter clockwise for more fuel. Am I right? or just totally wrong haha. I'll double check in the virtual mech. Thread before I try anything

That's what I thought. I have to take her in again anyways. The guy I took her too apparently forgot about the brake issue was also having. Taking it to the dealer this time. While I'm there I'll have them check out the vaccum advance as well as the electrical and injectors. Thank goodness for tax returns haha