turbo Montero

twojayzeestarion

I agree with jonboy, have a spare tranny. When your not looking for one, they pop up for under $100, but as soon as you need one, none exist and you get forced to rebuild yours or buy a kormex. If your paranoid like me, gtab a tough pan from phl, and use quality gl4 lube with regular changes.

I don't keep threads book marked, but I've seen about a dozen threads in the past two years on both sites alternating who got the better trans. Everyone seems to know a guy who knows a guy who built some super tranny using better parts from the other. Same question I've ways asked, what are these parts that are better? Never got an answer. It's all just gears, synchro, dog rings, on a few shafts inside a crappy case that flexes like rubber.

Like mentioned above, some trans do have too much motion and lack preload from use. The old back plate that holds it together wasn't hardened enough and would bang out creating play. The updated plate I believe is still available. Maybe it was professor quests thread that discusses it. Way to check is to drive the car/truck in gear, give it gas then let off and engine brake. If the shifter rows back and forth as you do this, you can guesstimate there's too much play and not enough preload in the trans.

Lastly, on breaking stuff. Don't wheel alone, and don't go crazy as when I wheel people don't want to wait more than 10min as you wrench or fix your rig and won't be willing to recover you or tow you for more than 15 as they want to keep wheeling.

Now you won't break axles from the starquest diff up front. It's way too loose stock to do anything. On rocks it's useless, just beneficial in mud situations. If you restack it helps, but if you overdo it, May as well just weld the front.

If your really paranoid, swap in the bigger v6 front diff with bigger axles. Its also easier to drop in the quest lsd and set up the gears than a 4cyl diff.

I have an 86 ram 50 Gen 1 4x4 I did a turbo swap to 5yrs a go it's pictured below the motor wasn't a stock build last time I dyno it she put down 228hp to the wheels and I can tell you the transmission will hold up just fine I don't think you would have any trouble out of montero transmission .