looking to buy a starion soon!

keyboardracer

Once my lancer is paid off i'm going to have to find a new project to piss my wife off with. I've wanted an 88 Starion for about 5 years now and though it will not be my first turbo car, it will be my first turbo RWD car. I will be looking to figure out a way to keep the G54b and add a DOHC head (possibly from a 4g63T?). going to be using it for road racing and he occasional 1/4 mile run. I'm really excited to be this close to starting this project out and am looking forward to learning about one of the most iconic turbocharged vehicles to ever exist!

Well I can't say that doesn't break my heart a little bit. was hoping to be able to keep the 2.6L but it won't be worth it for me if I can't run a DOHC setup with it. might have to end up getting a roller and start from scratch with a different motor. I appreciate the quick input guys! I've got some more research to do now...

I know there are ways to make power on a SOHC setup, i'm trying to go DOHC just because i want to learn more about them through this project. I know that the 4g63 is a popular swap, but if i have to swap out the engine i'd probably go with a 4g64 for the cost effectiveness. what are you guys with the 4g63 swaps using for a transmission? will an EVO 5 speed work?

i've got a ralliart, and it's currently my only means of getting to work and back. i want something that i can tinker around on without having to put it back together in order to get to work on time the next day. I also want something that i can built from the ground up, with my own two hands. I'm kind of a big fan of turbo 4 cylinders and have wanted a starion/conquest from my birth year (1988) for sentimental reasons. it's going to be my weekend warrior that i will be taking to the track and i am taking my time trying to plan out the right build so that when i buy one i will already know which direction to take it and can get to work!

I know you might be stuck on the DOHC but I'd really suggest keeping the stock engine and using that as a base until later. I learned everything I know about cars on my first 87 narrowbody and these cars are not overly difficult to work on or understand. And the stock engine is no slouch, you can do all kinds of things to it. Just my 2 cents, either way I'm sure you will get to where you want to be.

I know you might be stuck on the DOHC but I'd really suggest keeping the stock engine and using that as a base until later. I learned everything I know about cars on my first 87 narrowbody and these cars are not overly difficult to work on or understand. And the stock engine is no slouch, you can do all kinds of things to it. Just my 2 cents, either way I'm sure you will get to where you want to be.

i haven't completely ruled out building the stock engine, but at this point these cars are going on 30 years old. is there still a lot of aftermarket support for the G54B?

i'm here to learn

There never was aftermarket support for them in any traditional sense of the word and to be honest that is a great thing if your looking to learn. You will need to research and think outside the box then build what you need. For instance, the tps sensor on our cars is NLA so with an adapter plate a member made I'm running a TPS from a mazda sedan lol. You will learn tons problem solving and improving it.

TBI controlled by megasquirt or MPI on the stock motor. Newer electronics, more power. But I suggest sticking with stockish first, saving $ and making plans before doing anything. We've seen plenty of half finished cars get parted out.

What's to learn on DOHC that you can't on SOHC??? It has one more cam, not that different or special. Wanting to swap before even experiencing what the stock engine can do suggests a lack of experience with cars in general. A 4G63 can be just as problematic as a G54B. G54Bs are rock solid when built right. I don't mean with special parts. I mean just doing it correctly.