JVE remove rocker assembly?

ticktown

Hello:

I have an '86 Starion with hydraulic lifters.

I'm finally getting around to eliminating my jet valves with the kit I got from Dad. I have the rocker cover off. Do I have to remove the rocker assembly or is there a way to get the jet valves out with the rockers still in?

Many thanks.post-25869-0-74952200-1419894633_thumb.jpg

You at least have to remove the adjuster screw in the rocker. If you remove the whole assembly you can take the intake rockers off and cut off the tab for the jet valves. Slightly less weight on the rockers means the springs have less weight to move. The jet valves had a closing spring that helped the main spring. Reduced rocker arm weight = more stable at higher rpm.

Instead of cutting them, is there a non jet valve rocker arm we can use?

Yes. Just use the 4 more exhaust side rockers. Or get some from a non jet valve head like a caravan head.

Cutting them wont hurt the rocker. It's safe as long as you don't remove it by breaking it off like hitting it with a hammer.

You can make those tools from some banding or paper clips. Or just loosen all the bolts and remove the lash adjusters one at a time before pulling the assembly off. Put them in an egg carton or ice tray to keep them organized so you can put each one back in the hole it came from.