New motor and turbo build

questtuner82

Dad can u elaborate the reasons why people change connecting rod length and also the benefits of changing rod angle in a engine? For instance on a sbc 383 stroker some people use 5.7" rods and others use 6.0" rods. The longer rods on a 383 create more torque and hp and give you a broader rpm curve of torque/hp gains over a 5.7" rod

Here ya go.. enjoy

http://www.stahlheaders.com/lit_rod%20length.htm

Fyi. I have multiple cars and multiple engines. The early performance engine is going in my rio red car and the new build is going in my silver car i have a total of three cars that are in different stages but i have a stock daily driver that has a few mods but nothing major

And as for you starion north i build my own dirt track race cars from ground up and i have yet to get anything less than 3rd place at every race. This past season i took home second place in points standing with all but three races as feature winners. I think i know a bit more than u think. Also my 68ss camaro with a built 327 runs 9s in a qtr mile. My prostreet s10 with a blown 572 runs high 6 in a qtr and has a certified cage and frame for 4 sec qtr mile times. And my 77 f250mud truck has yet to get stuck anywhere i take it so i think i know a thing or two. If i wanted a***************s to make wise cracks id post on 2.6ltr. If i want honest opinions i post here but ive come to realize that ppl on this forum have all become a***************s and non believers. Ill tell u what u come up to my shop starion north and ill show u what i have and what i build and what i do. Fyi i own and operate to shops. Street tunerz performance and iron palace automotive.

Empirical experience; however, indicates that the mechanical stress is less with the longer rod length. There are two reasons for these results. Probably the primary reason for these results is that the profile of the instantaneous velocity of the piston changes with rod length. The longer rod allows the piston to come to a stop at the top of the bore and accelerate away much more slowly than a short rod engine. This slower motion translates into a lower instantaneous velocity and hence lower stresses on the piston. Another strong effect on mechanical stress levels is the angle of the connecting rod with the bore centerline during the engine cycle. The smaller the centerline angle, the less the side loading on the cylinder wall. The longer rod will have less centerline angle for the same crank angle than the shorter rod and therefore has lower side loadings.

Wow, someone sure is butt-hurt! You need to lose that attitude and keep the name calling to yourself. My early posts were nothing but polite; you however decided that you needed to talk down to me "in laymens terms" about a subject that you were completely wrong about. You even took it as far as to call in an expert to try to prove yourself right (but were actually incorrect) and now are copy and pasting theories posted in other forums by other people and trying to pass them off as your own. You talk a big game from behind your keyboard about all your accomplishments yet you don't even understand the most fundamental day one engine principle of stroke. I would not waste my time visiting you just so that you can have a chance to try and vindicate yourself.

The basic advantage of the longer rod is a better rod ratio. That means the piston end of the rod sees less movement horizontally because the pin is further away from the crank. It makes a huge difference in red-line of the engine. This is paramount especially if you are increasing stroke too, like making a 2.8L from a 2.6, but that requires a lot too. Like adding material to the crank to properly move it to add the stroke. Yep, of course custom rod lengths, custom piston pin location, custom crank grind, etc... That stuff aint cheap, but is a very good place to start from when building the rest of your parts around it. Every part you put on that engine will gain more than it would have on most of our modded engines. I'm excited to see someone is going for it on the G54B! It is actually a preferred block to have because it is possible to do these things and achieve near perfection with. That's why those guys from the island used it and made the world's fastest 4 cylinder from it years ago. Sakura I believe it was. Okay, now to read Dad's links and see how wrong I am too! I'm sure I missed something!

Starion north im far from butt hurt. I know more about an engine than most. Ive blueprinted engines for 18+ years and have yet to have one blow up. Ive built engines for top fuel dragsters that push 2000+hp. I may not be completely familiar with these motors to be specific but an engine is an engine and no matter how u look at it any engine can be modded or redesigned and you can drastically make major gains or losses with a redesign of an engine. The thing is most ppl are either scared to redesign or dont have the means to do so. My only reason on redesign of these motors is to try to make it more powerful and more dependable. And dad is a good guy and machinist and take his words wisely but has he ever attempted to redesign or reblueprint one of these motors????? That i cant answer but he can. Way back when ppl were always trying to redesign a small block chevy or ford to make more power and to be more dependable. Hell ppl do it with hondas toyotas and the famous 4g63/64 so why not try on an engine that if you realize not much has been done/tried or actually succeeded in doing

Nope, never redisigned an engine, just an old diesel guy that enjoys the Quest. Tell me more about your 2 shops. Your in pittsburgh aren't you? Got a chassis dyno? Pittsburgh's only about an hour away, depending on what side you are on. Got a few questers here in the area, be cool to take a ride together to see your toys. where they at?

Dad

Cant wait to see it! Im sure it will blow us all away!!

This past season i took home second place in points standing with all but three races as feature winners. I think i know a bit more than u think. Also my 68ss camaro with a built 327 runs 9s in a qtr mile. My prostreet s10 with a blown 572 runs high 6 in a qtr and has a certified cage and frame for 4 sec qtr mile times. And my 77 f250mud truck has yet to get stuck anywhere i take it so i think i know a thing or two.

Would love to see these cars! What tracks do you run at and what sanction certed your cage?

Edited by Funky Phil

As for tracks i run a quaker city dragway when in season but not often. And my dirt car is latemodel sportsman division at ppms in imperial. My cage is certed by ihra. And has to be recerted this year coming. (Every 3years) it is a 12 point cage with tie bars and an x frame. Class A certified which is 4.50 et. Its .083" chromoly with .110 main hoops in chromoly.

Why can't people here be more supportive and be willing to learn of what others are doing to improve the g54b performance and reliability. In long term there could be may more powerful g54 running around thus increasing the value of our car. In my opinion and experience here most have never done, too scared to try something new or don't have the means to do it. All they do is knock it down when other try to be different and when others succeed they all want to know how to do it. Why then will one want to share what they have done with the community if during the process they had no support. Good luck with your build I feel your pain as in pass I have experience the same.

• 4 months later...
reading this thread all the way through, every word, brings me to ask here instead of a new post... The wide Block. This post is mainly about the SHORT block(meaning minus the head). I have everything to build a g54( 3 short blocks, marnel head, TimC monster cam, MPI intake ect). SO, should i sell that stuff and build a 4g64 and stick a 4 valve head on it ? seems it could be cheaper (same build money) and get more streetable HP and better manners. also wondering if/why OP went with a g54, not the g64 with all the money/time spent ? I'm enjoying the different takes on the same builds. and some good info too. Went with the longer rods(Scat 7.1")on my 440 based 512 stroker just for the reasons pointed out in the article DAD posted(great read). I Won't work as hard on the street with lots of miles ;-) , C300