The end of the Starion/Stallion urban legend...?

Fuze

Somebody probably already posted this somewhere but,

From Wiki:

Mitsubishi says "Starion" is a contraction of "Star of Orion" — and refers to both a star and the mythical horse, Arion.

Several sources attribute the name to struggles by Japanese engineers to pronounce the word stallion. Automotive journalist Paul Niedermeyer noted that an early Japanese television commercial for the Starion closed with a logo of a stallion's head with the word "Starion" below it. The translation of the voiceover says the name refers to a star and the mythical horse, Arion.The Mitsubishi Colt and Mitsubishi Eclipse featured equine names, with the Eclipse named after the champion racehorse.

So, I knew about the Star of Orion reference but the horse named Arion was news to me. I also didn't know that Eclipse was the name of a racehorse. Combined with the Colt, it all kinda makes sense now.... But the urban legend of the mispronounced word "Stallion" is still a much more fun story to tell. I still want one of those horse head emblems.

Edited by Fuze

I've said it before and probably will again. When I was in Okinawa, (late 80's) I remember seeing a Starion with some pony logos on the front fenders. Didnt see many of them but they all had the pony's...

And there are no "L" in the Japanese language. Hense my last name Lhota... Written in Japanese as ... Rota...

stallion... starion...

the world may never know

Mitsubishis of the era include Colt, Lancer, Galant, Canter.... I've seen the horse head emblem on Japanese keys for the car. Never knew Eclipse was named after a horse, not a car we get here.