Newbie looking to get into SC's

TWFodor

Hey all just a new guy here. Just a little background: I was searching on youtube one day and stumbled upon the Starquest and instantly fell in love. I've always loved cars from the 80's and the Starion is arguably the best looking 80's sports car I've seen. Anyways, I'm looking to get into my first Starion next year (hopefully), and I want to learn as much as possible about them before I jump into one. It seems they can be quite a hassle, but I'm more than willing to sacrifice to get this car. I have very little car repair experience (outside of brakes, thermostats, etc the easy stuff) so please be patient with me.

Its great to be here, and I look forward to meeting some very knowledgeable people!

I'll take any advice you can offer.

Welcome. I'd start reading and rereading the new owners' sections. I still refer back to them and I've had at least one of these cars since the late 90's. Maybe i'm just dumb, but sometimes you can get off course when starting to mod these things without knowing how the stock system was designed and built. Mind you, most of them have been modded by PO's and some not so well. I suggest you buy one that is running good and as close to stock as possible...just my .02 Good luck!

Welcome, yes we think they're the best looking 80's cars too also one of the best looking cars all time. B) One thing you must always remember with these cars is to be patient. They're a little different in many ways than a lot of cars. Also can't stress this enough, maintenance before modifications. A lot of these cars are severely neglected and need a lot of repairs. Last thing you need to do is to hack up some janky mods and wonder why it's running like crap on plus year old parts.

Welcome Aboard! :)

In addition to what the guys have stated above, I suggest that you read the following link to understand the typical problems that you can run into when buying a neglected or hacked up Starquest.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Welcome Aboard! :)

In addition to what the guys have stated above, I suggest that you read the following link to understand the typical problems that you can run into when buying a neglected or hacked up Starquest.

http://www.starquest...showtopic=66449

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I've read through that post about everything to replace more than a few times and it seems a little daunting to me. Thats a lot of stuff that I need to look out for. Are many of the issues you talked about relevant to a SQ that has been daily driven, or will many of them just be relevant to one that has been sitting/poorly maintained?

Thanks

I've read through that post about everything to replace more than a few times and it seems a little daunting to me. Thats a lot of stuff that I need to look out for. Are many of the issues you talked about relevant to a SQ that has been daily driven, or will many of them just be relevant to one that has been sitting/poorly maintained?

Thanks

It's hard to differentiate between "daily drivers" and Starquests which have sat for a period of time. We are dealing with a car that is 20 something years old and God only knows how well it has been maintained over the years or what was it's frequency of being driven. The purpose of that post was to give a new Starquester an intelligent basis upon what to look for when buying one and how to bring that Lady back to everything that she can be.

For What It's Worth.

KEN