"Rear Hatch Open" light on dash will not turn off

The "rear hatch open" indicator on the cluster is ON, and won't turn off, the hatch is obviously closed, the one thing i did notice is that the trunk key hole is seized and won't allow me to unlock the hatch using the key, and while the hatch is closed, the interior trunk light remains on, so i removed the bulb so it won't drain my battery as fast.

Ive also tried disconnecting the switch, and NO luck, i think this would actually cause the light to turn ON if there wasn't something else wrong with it. Any POSITIVE input, feedback, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated

I'm more of a mechanically savvy guy than electrical just putting that out there.

Thanks

If there is a way to troubleshoot this please let me know

I have trouble with my door not depressing the lights in the lower door jams. I have to put tape on my door to make sure the light goes out by making better contact. Perhaps try checking those?

Well shoot. Hopefully someone else can chime in to help out.

Is your avatar pic your car? I lusted over that one for years and had it as my computer background for a while. It's what led me to finally buying mine.

unfortunately i have a dead battery now and it won't keep a charge for long, I'm going to buy a new one tomorrow so i can continue to troubleshoot this, its amazing what you learn here. I never even bothered to look at the struts, but it seems like the contacts are dirty enough to cause a bad connection, i will clean those out as well. Thanks to those who are helping me with this. I will post pictures of my troubleshooting efforts to maybe help someone else in the future.

some times the hatch from years of use slips towards the rear of the car. they some times need to be adjusted towards the front of the car.

realigned and adjusted. that might also be a contributing factor to your problem.

Yep, definitely another valid thing to check for sure. You will be able to tell if your hatch is out of adjustment (and most of them are) by looking at the center spoiler in comparison to the sides. Most seem to stick further back in the center by about 1/4". If yours does, you need to pop the rear headliner panel loose and you will see 4 nuts (2 per side) that can be loosened and then the hatch can be slid forward. Hopefully you have someone close by to help you do this, as it takes one person in the car operating the tools and one person outside pushing on the hatch to get it aligned properly. There are also 4 screws holding the hatch glass to the hinges. Don't bother messing with them as the are run through brackets and exact fit rubber grommets through the glass to keep it located, so there is no adjustment to be had there.

Also, if you have something that is killing your battery, the etacs under the drivers seat is a good place to start with trying to get to the bottom of that.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

i believe the light would be activated by the switch in the hatch struts.

It's a matter of connecting the two wires the switch normally closes, so it thinks the hatch is always shut.

Nah man that is the wiper and the defrost contacts in there. The switch that controls the power to that light is separate.

conquestTSI_88 , the dash light is not on the circuit that is in the hatch struts. Its the switch on the passenger side latch...

Edited by JohnnyWadd

so i continued the troubleshooting today, i realigned the hatch so that the rear spoiler lines up with the side spoilers and there is equal spacing on both sides of the hatch when closed

I disconnected the switch and tried to short out the other connection, but no luck, the light remained on. I also connected the switch and pushed the button down (the one located on the passenger side) and no luck.

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/4170/a5z3r4.jpg rear hatch switch line shorted

@99 http://imageshack.com/a/img908/6410/iCJd0K.jpg etacs..what should i check here?

http://imageshack.com/a/img911/1362/DPgnqV.jpg popped the trunk molding and saw this disconnected, anyone know what it goes to? my rear key access does not work by the way, its seized idk if this has anything to do with any of my problems.