Dumb newbie question about fuel pressure regulator

questtuner82

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not giving up! It just occured to me that we haven't checked the IAT sensor, its in the MAF housing. It's used in the fueling equation. You should be able to disconnect the MAF plug and check it with an ohm meter but it is somewhat confusing because you have to check between a green wire/red stripe and black wire/white stripe and there are two of each of those in the connector AND you have to check it on the MAF side of the connector not the wire side. I just went out and checked one of my cars, if you unplug the connector and lean over to look at the pins in the MAF side so the locking tab is on the bottom its the lower left and upper right pins. Mine was 29 Kohm at room temp, check it cold and then drive until it goes wonky, pull over and check it again.

Yes. Most important input device in the system. You can also test it with a hair dryer.

Edited by Edde

Scott says that the iat sensor could cause the issue and that it also uses it for the fuel readings. And yes I still get fuel pressure drop but the car is starting to run a little better after all the changing I've made with sensors ecu ect. It now takes about 35-40 minutes for the car to miss in boost. My knock sensor was tested and tested bad so could this be all my issue

Factory 12a turbo. And 10 psi boost. When I fire it up and drive it cold it runs/boosts fine 20 minutes of drive time it starts to act up and gets progressively worse. It starts at about 5lbs boost and about 2200-2500 rpm then gets worse as I drive it to the point of anytime I bring it in to boost like even 2lbs it starts to break up.

If you are telling me that fuel pressure is dropping at 5 psi boost at only 2500 rpm?

Then i say there is still a fuel delivery problem, and will continual to harp on it till we prove that the gauge is intermittently bad. Which i feel is unlikely, or the problem is found and corrected.

A wide band afr gauge would be quite helpful now.

I suggest you find another gauge to try. Borrow a test gauge plumb it up and tape to the windshield. You can space the back off the hood up to make room for the hose.

http://www.sears.com...P&mktRedirect=y

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-5630-Fuel-Pressure-Test/dp/B000R5IASC/ref=sr_1_1/190-8320294-1862742?ie=UTF8&qid=1408241649&sr=8-1&keywords=fuel+pressure+test+kit

Edited by StarquestRescue

I'm going to go to advance auto and get the loaner tool fuel pressure tester and see what it shows. Right now I don't have money to plumb in a wide and but I can tell u that my new plugs have 150 miles on them and they show a lean condition so I am not getting fuel like I should be somehow.

I've re-read the thread and yes if fp is dropping like that it's not sensor or electric related unless the signal to the pump is interrupted, which it appears is not the case. Assume the tac doesn't drop like a stone when the issue presents. Mike C used to describe a de-lamination of the internal high pressure fuel delivery line that could wreak havoc on fuel delivery and be very difficult to figure out. Don't know how the heatup would relate though. I would expect it to be either all the time or really unpredictable, not after a certain warmup period.

I've had a stuck open, gooey egr valve and clogged piping that would prevent the car from even maintaining a constant rpm. It would hold a few seconds on the smog test then stumble. It doesn't sound like this is similar from your description but just putting it out there.

Ok so just for s**** and giggles I changed the knock sensor and it runs better now. Although it still has fuel psi drop issues which I found out was the relay in the f/p rewire. It's running good now , but after I did the tps/isc reset it idles at 1200rpm and now I have a flat spot right above an idle and when I get to that point it starts to buck. Any help or suggestions what's causing this

How do u adjust the idle on these damn things???? I adjusted both screws the one on the throttle body and the one on the linkage and no difference and I even took the throttle cable off and makes no difference. It acts like a damn air leak but I've checked over and over and it's all good no leaks anywhere

How do u adjust the idle on these damn things???? I adjusted both screws the one on the throttle body and the one on the linkage and no difference and I even took the throttle cable off and makes no difference. It acts like a damn air leak but I've checked over and over and it's all good no leaks anywhere

Then you just messed up the TPS/ISC reset by adjusting those points. You adjust those in the beginning of the TPS/ISC reset then never touch them again.

Ok so here's what I just tested I have .5 on the tps and sweep test is good at wot it is 5.0-5.1 now the isc seems to be the issue. When I turn ign on at full temp and go to test the isc per isc test and reset it will test .9 but when I put the m/m on the green as + and black as - the isc motor will activate and spikes to 2.3-2.5 on the m/m and when I disconnect the m/m the isc motor activates again. Then check again it starts at .9 but then activates the isc motor with the m/m and goes back to 2.3-2.5 again. wt.... is going on???? Sorry for language but this car is pissin me off its ready to go to the shredder any day now

Read the tps/isc reset writeup it tells u to check the voltage t the isc on the green and the black wire. Ok anyways my ecu keeps pulling the tps code but the tps checks good good sweep test and tests in car shows .5v with ign on and wot is 5.0-5.1 volt so it's in specs I did the full reset again the car idles at 900-950 but the ecu ends up pulling tps code.(5) I've reset this a couple time already today and all tests show what needs to be there and the isc doesn't show the .9 at idle like it should but shows 1.1-1.3 even thought I should have the reading of .9. I still have the flat spot above idle and if just sitting there and touching the throttle it surges between 1100-2200 and keeps doing this so I don't know what is happening