LSD restack

So I've seen various ways to redo the lsd clutches and all. Any particular way that people like best?

Since I'll be diving into this, any idea if the montero lsd internals/clutches from an 8inch rear are the same as an 87 or 88/89 style starquest lsd? Both are the same ring gear and all. Wondering cause I have an extra montero lsd that came be a donor for clutches.

A donor is good as the stock LSD stack in a starquest is missing a plate or disc, I can't remember now. The plates engage the hub and the discs engage the side gears, in the FSM it shows them alternating, one each spring plate and disc then two each friction plates and discs for each side which is the ideal for 100% lockup action but in reality there is only one friction plate and three discs (my memory, could be backwards). At least that's how mine was.

A donor is good as the stock LSD stack in a starquest is missing a plate or disc, I can't remember now. The plates engage the hub and the discs engage the side gears, in the FSM it shows them alternating, one each spring plate and disc then two each friction plates and discs for each side which is the ideal for 100% lockup action but in reality there is only one friction plate and three discs (my memory, could be backwards). At least that's how mine was.

this sounds correct. i had to steal a plate from a donor rear end. i restacked mine to go plate disc plate disc. It definitely locks up quicker and is a tighter LSD

So here are my options?

| | } ) | l -X- l | ( { | |

How it comes stock in most starions. Fairly loose, road friendly, and maneuverable.

} ) | l | l -X- l | l | ( {

How mitsu originally designed it. 33% more torque lockup. Holds but won't exactly drag your tires.

) | l | l } -X- { l | l | (

How Phil did his. Same 33% more torque lockup over stock, but provides a more even pre load? What do you.mean by that? Holds better, catches sooner, or just works smoother? Im not sure how the preload affects things.

" | ) | ( | |--| | ) | ( |"

How haztoys does his. He didnt post clearly which component is what, but I can ask him on 4x4wire about it. This setup is so tight it requires a press for reassembly. It causes wheel hop on turns. Not far from having a spool in the rear.

imo separating or opposing

)ll), (ll),)ll(,()ll

the springs "should" give an edge over 2 seated springs ))ll

since two seated spring will take up less area by conforming to each others shape. Whereas if you were to oppose or separate them they wont seat into each other and will take up more space.

I separated the springs (llll(

so now the springs eat up more area (more preload) and also evenly apply pressure to the inner and outer circumference of the friction surfaces.

Edited by Funky Phil

I dont see why you would need a press for any of the stacks unless he has stiffer springs than stock. His stack also eliminates friction surface.

If you want to drag tires all over the place, just weld the spiders

Edited by Funky Phil

So I get it Phil. Stock uses only only 1 friction disk per side. Improved stock used two friction discs for better grab. What you and haz did is space the springs apart and tighten it up even more.

This is for my montero project. I think for the rear I'll do the "add a friction disc mod" but for the front I think I'll just leave it stock with only one disc. Don't want too much grab up front messing with my steering.

So are these discs very resilient? I know my mustang's lsd was pretty much an open diff at 150k miles. Just worried that I'll buy a starion diff and it wont work very well is all.

no, Haz is 33% less friction.

You have to understand that there are friction plates and disks. Then you have the springs with no friction surface.

If you use this stack, SpSdPDPD

Spring Plate

Spring Disk

F Plate

F Disk

F Plate

F Disk

You have friction to friction contact. If you put 2 disks or 2 plates against each other you lose a friction surface since they spin together.

Springs are smooth. So any friction contact looses a lot if not all its work.

Now shuffle those springs between friction surfaces and you have compromised 4 contact surfaces.

Thats how I view it. Springs to the outside is the only way.

Edited by Funky Phil

• 8 months later...

Diff's and LSD are really miss understood ... Had my hands in lots of Mitzu LSD's more then most .. And 20 years of HP diff testing and work is how and why I do what I do ... Theres more ways to bake a cake for sure ...

Have a good day

Captain Gear Box

Hazardous Toys inc