Scion TC, anyone with experience?

BC_99

I'm looking for a cheap, gas saver, commuter car, that will be decently fun and somewhat sporty looking, but also last for awhile. I have looked at 2 door civics and preludes, but all of the ones for sale around here are riced out and way overpriced. I ran across an add on CL for an 08 Scion TC with under 75k miles for around what I think is a decent starting price for negotiations. So, does anyone have any personal experience with these cars, good or bad? I don't want opinions based on anything but "YOUR OWN" personal experiences. If you just don't like them because of superficial reasons, or think they are over hyped, or your cousins roommates aunts sister used to own one and blah blah blah.... Please don't post. I'm looking for things that pertain to gas mileage, common problems or issues, life expectancy, ect...

Thanks for looking and posting if you have any advice or answers for me.

BC_99

I have looked into getting the wife a new Mitsu Mirage. Not really a powerful car but great gas mileage. And it's the cheapest new car you can get with all the bells and whistles included. If they come out with a turbo version next year I'll probably get one.

They are only 74hp but @ 2k curb weight that's still a pretty quick car.

Edited by ucw458

A friend of mine has one and she loves it.

It had to go in the shop for a throttle problem (?) and the rear hatch releases (on the rear decklid) are prone to breakage, other than than I think they're OK.

-N8

Its a Toyota Camry in 2 door form. Same engine. The Scions are overlooked by most people looking for cars in the same category. People get too hung up on Honda and Toyota and jack up the prices of used models. But the Scions are the same thing and often overlooked. My friends in the car sales business call them "soft sales" because they are overlooked cars and usually sell for less than a comparable model of same category.

They're fantastic cars. The 1st gens were a bit more plasticky interior wise than the 2nd gen ( had a weird fold down plastic door over the headunit ) but in terms of reliability and functionality, hard to beat.

TMAN's wife Misty has one and he said she likes it My buddy has one, his motor blew right after the warranty and he replaced it. He bounced it off of the rev limiter a lot tho so that probably didnt help. HAHA. Been a good car tho.

Chad-

i have owned two scion xb,s since 2004 and are super reliable all i have ever done to both is regular oil changes, brakes and tune-ups . my partner at work has also a scion xb bought new off the show room floor in 2006 now it over 300k and still runs great on original eng and tranny.