Different pistons

How many different pistons are there forr the g54b? I have the ones in the motor out of my conquest that are labelled with a 54 T with a slight dish. Then I have a set out of a n/a g54 that are flat top and have a 54 on top. There is a set that was in the back of my car that are the same diameter but have a deeper dish than the others but no labelling. Is there a certain piston that is preferred ?

The 54 and 54T pistons are stock. Stock pistons work very well. When upgrading most go with weisco or JE forged pistons. You don't need forged pistons for a sub 300hp car. Stock pistons have worked up to 400hp but they can be broken easily in that range. Any detonation with stock pistons in the 300-400hp range is likely to crack ring lands. Forged pistons are stronger and can handle more detonation before they break.

Don't use those NA flat tops. Boosted motors need lower static compression or high octane fuel to prevent detonation. The dish in the piston lowers compression. If you use those flat tops you will be stuck with low boost unless you use 100+ octane fuel or E85.

The 54 and 54T pistons are stock. Stock pistons work very well. When upgrading most go with weisco or JE forged pistons. You don't need forged pistons for a sub 300hp car. Stock pistons have worked up to 400hp but they can be broken easily in that range. Any detonation with stock pistons in the 300-400hp range is likely to crack ring lands. Forged pistons are stronger and can handle more detonation before they break.

Don't use those NA flat tops. Boosted motors need lower static compression or high octane fuel to prevent detonation. The dish in the piston lowers compression. If you use those flat tops you will be stuck with low boost unless you use 100+ octane fuel or E85.

Very well said.