First autocross in the starion

383chevelle

Well this last Saturday I was finally able to enter my starion in an autocross. it was a ton of fun and will be doing the next 3 they have planned. Here is a link to a short video of the event and my car made it in several times. I will post some of the gopro videos as I get them on youtube. Big question is what have people done to combat the lift off over steer cause damn my car has it! I guess I could just use it to my advantage but curious if others have noticed the same problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsS12P9ZBrg&list=UUbhPf66K6fSY_U-nDAV4WhA

Just a warning I didn't make the video and it is a little shaky throughout the entire thing, but my car is in several shots in the video kinda cool when there where so many nice cars around.

The plans for mine are to Autocross and track day, autocross is a lot of fun and you can run just about anything. Get some good instruction and then seat time, seat time seat time!!!!!

I forgot to mention the fsae open wheel car in the video is what I usually drive in autocross events. It was so much fun and its nice to be able to flog on the car with out worry of any ill consequences. This event was really cool because they limit it to 40 people so we ended up getting 16 runs at the track which is unusual from what I have been told. Edited by 383chevelle

Nice vid. Looks like you guys had a blast. VW wagon was being thrown around.lol

Welcome to the sport, I don't have a ton of time driving Starquests in autocrosses, but autocrossed for years. I got my Starquest out for the first time last fall, and they are a lot of fun out there.

The best way to combat the oversteer is to simply slow down a bit more. Just slowing down a bit more will help a ton; Fast in the fast parts, slow in the slow parts. If the oversteer is at an unbelievable level I'd suggest giving the chassis a good going through. You may have a worn bushing or something causing an issue. These cars should be a bit happy, but check that everything is right before you go thinking the dynamic is off. I had a buddy with a car that seemed fine on the road but would snap oversteer on course, after a bushing replacement the car settled down a lot. The bushings didn't even look that bad, but the had rubber just gone floppy.

Also, since you are just starting don't make changes to the car itself unless they are repairs. Just drive it, maybe get some tires. But get a few races under you belt before making any real changes to the car. It will help you develop you skills faster as you'll be driving the same car all the time. Many unknowingly mask bad habits with equipment or settings changes; They attempt to "fix" and issue rather than looking at their driving.

Check out your local SCCA club. Judging by the course layout I assume this wasn't an SCCA event; Which tend to be looser and more open. Fewer cones make things more fun as the time won't be given to the car that sticks best. There tends to be a lot more room for learning and skills development with SCCA style courses.

Glad to see you like it. More people need to try it. It is such a great way to enjoy a car with minimal risk. Have fun.

Edited by Cloud81918

Upgraded sway bars and aftermarket springs really made the biggest improvements to my car after tires. The lift off oversteer is pretty typical of these cars. Trail braking helps alot. you will learn slow in fast out is the best way to make these cars work. If you are TBI throttle response will be another thing you begin to notice, you will need to be back in the throttle almost 1/2 a second before other cars coming out of a turn.

Driver mod is the biggest contributor to a good auto-x time and the starquest isn't the easiest to learn on.

• Like 1

It was a fun weekend. To be clear I have run autocross quite a bit just normally its in a fsae car. I am one of the competition drivers do my school. This was my first time in the starion. I manage to beat about 25 or 30 other cars most of them porsche 911s. Figured that was pretty good do a car with a terrible tune and 6 year old tires.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Gives me something to work on in the nect event.I am excited about the next event in a month.