Starter issue 88

ColdScrip

Restored a quest. Remanned starter from rockauto. This one has me scratching my head.

The starter acts like it doesn't have enough juice to turn over the motor quick enough. If I try again within 10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc. the problem persists. If I wait 5 minutes and try it again, it fires right up.

During the problem, all other electronics appear to work just fine. The starter does engage and turn over the motor, it just is barely able to turn it over very slowly and painfully. It never is enough for it to start though.

It may happen once in a week with about 20 starts that do work perfectly.

Thoughts?

Edited by ColdScrip

Make sure all power and ground connections are clean. Make sure the starter bolts aren't rusty and the mounting point for the starter is clean. If that doesn't fix it then the solenoid may be going out.

Mine was doing that also then i changed the 3 year old fusable wire that goes to the black box that Dad sells and it fixed my problem.

Hopefully this helps

Gary

My father-in law (he's a mechanic) always told me the old school way to test a starter was put your foot on it on the ground and if it could chew up the end of a broomstick it was good. For what it's worth. Obviously, it has to be removed from the car. :P