88 car wobble in front end between 35 and 40

triforcequest

Hey I haven't posted on this sight in a long time but I just finished putting my car on the road and I have like I said in the description above a wobble around 30 to 45 mph and it not severe some times compared to others.

I have jacked the car up and checked the wheel bearings and the tie rod end look new probably installed by previous owner and strut rod bushing look to be in one piece. The tires are newish very few miles but are a few years old but no dry rot from what I can see. I am going to have them road force tested and balanced just to make sure but I have dealt with plenty of bad tires and this doesn't fit the bill to me as a bad tire. The wheels are perfect not a scratch on them. I have read about the coupler bushing that goes to the gear box but I don't have very much play in the steering its self. I not sure about the shocks either but I have blown ones in my other car and it doesn't have the wobble.

With all this info I have given you would i be correct in thinking its the idler arm bushings. The vibration also feels like its more on the passenger side of the car as well. As alway thanks for any input and will be updating about my car soon

It not a flat spot for sure because I would feel that at all speeds. As for an out of balance fire I would be a think it would be a constant thing and get worse the faster I go. This comes and goes. Some times I accelerate with no wobble at all other times it there. If it there and I turn is lessens but doesn't totally go a way. I have the idler bushing ordered they will be here tomorrow and I going to get the tires balance possibly Saturday a friend has a tire machine and said he would do it for me. Well see if these two things cure this problem then on to the next small issue of it killing battery's over night

Thanks you all for all the replying I wasn't expecting so many in such a short time.

Edited by triforcequest

I got a car a few years ago that had a very nice set of front Eagle GT's on it that were like new. The car'd been sitting a few years when I got it, but I pulled them and put them on my 88. From the time I put them on, it had a shake, but only at certain speeds. I had them balanced twice, and each time they were "ok" very briefly, then the shake came back. Everything smoothed out when I finally gave up on them and swapped into different front tires. My guess is one of them had an internal belt that separated.

I'm betting unbalanced tires.

outta balance tire or busted belt or flat spot

Honestly working as a mechanic for years... its most often tire, rim, or balance issue bassed on what you describe.

^^^ this

It not a flat spot for sure because I would feel that at all speeds. As for an out of balance fire I would be a think it would be a constant thing and get worse the faster I go. This comes and goes. Some times I accelerate with no wobble at all other times it there. If it there and I turn is lessens but doesn't totally go a way. I have the idler bushing ordered they will be here tomorrow and I going to get the tires balance possibly Saturday a friend has a tire machine and said he would do it for me. Well see if these two things cure this problem then on to the next small issue of it killing battery's over night

Thanks you all for all the replying I wasn't expecting so many in such a short time.

You only part right , balance comes and goes so does flat spot and so does a separated tire. Jack it up and spin it , run your hand over the tread and it there is uneven spot you will feel it. Ask yourself this question... What in the front of your car spins?

Its the wheel and tire, so any out of round or out of balance in those components will cause you all sorts of issues.e ^^^^

Edited by JohnnyWadd