86 WOT revving issue

starion1991

Ok guys, having a little bit of an issue with my 86 flatty once again. It's having a hesatation issue when you rev it in neutral and when your driving under a load as well. If your in neutral, I can rev it up as high as I want if I slowly increase the throttle. If I stab the petal to the floor it will start sputtering at different rpms sometimes it will start at 1500 rpm and won't climb past. Sometimes it will be around 3500ish rpm and almost anywhere between. If I rev it agressivly, but not wot, it will studder around 3500ish rpm. Now for the issue under load. If I drive it gently and out of boost it runs fine under 3k rpm. Sometimes I can get past 3k rpm if I ease into it. But if I attempt to get past 3k or get into boost the car will let out a huge pop/backfire and will not go past it. I've spent all day troubleshooting it and I can't seem to get it fixed.

Today I reset the tps, changed the vac advance, checked all my vac lines, checked/set my timing at 10btdc, the car has a new fuel pump, filters, new cap and rotor, coil, wires, good knock box, had both injectors cleaned and tested. New injector clips...exc...you get the idea. Any more things I should check or test? Running out of ideas.

You changed the pump, did you toss the cone filter before the pump? It only works with the stock pump. It blocks the inlet on aftermarket pumps and causes low fuel pressure under load.

Also check for leaks between the mass and turbo.

Also I played with the plug gap today and it made no difference, I took it around the block and car runs great out of boost. If I stab the pedal while I'm driving it will hiccup at about 3500 and won't go past. If I ease it into boost it will go in pretty nicely and won't studder much. Any more ideas?

• 2 weeks later...