A few annoying issues

Colin

1) Wipers are barely operational. Since I've had the car, the intermittent wipers are slow and stop in random positions on the windshield without completing a full pass. The 1 and 2 speeds work but when you move the stalk back to off the wipers stop in their tracks and don't return to the full down position like I believe they should. Then the wiper fuse blew, so i replaced it and now the wipers are super slow even on the highest speed.

2) Probably the most urgent issue is my throttle. The pedal is more difficult to push down than any other car I've driven and I feel like I don't have a wide open throttle position at all. What I mean is that when I have the throttle about half open and accelerating hard, if I mash the pedal down the rest of the way, there is no change in acceleration or anything. I'm thinking it may be an issue in either the cable/pedal assembly itself or perhaps the throttle body needs to be serviced. I really don't know where to start on an issue like this. The other day I raced my friend in his Honda Prelude and lost (sad right). We were rolling about 40, I dropped it in 3rd, he honked and I mashed the throttle and he just flew away while my tachometer climbed slowly. Keep in mind I was only at about 3k rpms but I feel like the car should have responded better in 3rd gear going 40. If this sounds like driver error by all means tell me I'm not a good driver because I know I'm far from good.

3) Probably the simplest issue. The rear wiper, rear defroster, and center stop lamp all don't work. They all worked before the interior was apart, so I'm thinking I probably just didn't plug the connector in that runs up the hatch strut on the left side. It's just weird because I don't remember unplugging that and wouldn't have had a reason to. But if all of those items run off that one connector, then I'll put the dunce hat on for messing up something so simple.

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Colin

1) the intermittent part works through the ecu under the drivers seat, also known as the ETACs unit.. if the the wipers are moving extremely slow even on HI, id want to think the wiper motor may be bad, or could just have really really old grease in it and is struggling to move. You can take the cover off the motor and clean the grease and regrease it..

2)unhook the throttle cable from the throttle body and see if the throttle body moves freely without the cable attached! if it does, id suggest something in the cable is binding, see if the cable moves freely by hand.. it should, if not, replace the cable...

3)The rear wiper i know for a fact, gets its power through the hatch struts, if they are not making contact there will be no power to the rear electronics of the hatch.. could be out of alignment..

Edited by 19cturbo

Manually check throttle on thottlebody to check where it is not moving smoothly, if that is one of your issues. Just follow the cable out of the firewall where it ends, and pull the piece as the pedal normally would. Should show you which part is binding. Rear electronics often go out because of the struts not closing completely. You may have to move the hatch back up (loosen the bolts, have another person push it up, then rebolt it in place), as it will eventually slide down and need readjusted. Wipers are common problem from what I hear, not sure but think its probably motors or the ground to the motors that need attention.

Wow thanks guys that should be a huge help. I also forgot to mention Im only getting about 15 or 16 mpg on average and was wondering if this could be the sign of any issues. Thanks again.

Regarding front wipers... I don't know what the assembly looks like, but if its like most cars, check the "wiper transmission". It goes from the wiper motor to the wiper arms. They seize up. Sometimes you can soak the joints in penetrating oil. When you take any wiper stuff apart, mark all the possitions of everythng, saves you a real headache assembling it and having to guess/check ten times. Edited by Malykaii

Wow thanks guys that should be a huge help. I also forgot to mention Im only getting about 15 or 16 mpg on average and was wondering if this could be the sign of any issues. Thanks again.

Could have some leaky injectors.. could be a few things, but diagnosing that is going to be near impossible unless the car is running top notch..

Regarding front wipers... I don't know what the assembly looks like, but if its like most cars, check the "wiper transmission". It goes from the wiper motor to the wiper arms. They seize up. Sometimes you can soak the joints in penetrating oil. When you take any wiper stuff apart, mark all the possitions of everythng, saves you a real headache assembling it and having to guess/check ten times.

That is alos a good point, remover the wiper motor, and turn the wipers on with the motor still plugged up.. see if it moves freely or very slow..

Wipers will likely be a couple different things. First off, the auto park on the wiper motor is gunked up. Pull the motor and take the front plate off, you'll see the contacts. They'll need the only nasty grease off of them. Go ahead and clean all the old grease out and relube things. While you've got the motor out you need to pull the linkage (transmission). Separate the stubs and make sure everything's clean and regrease everything there too.

Check your timing for your acceleration issues.

Close your hatch, look at the spoiler sections. Does the middle section line up with the side section? Probably no, probably sticks farther back. Our hatches tend to "slip down" after some time, which makes the contacts in the support struts not come close enough to make contact. You MAY be able to adjust them with the 4 nuts under the rear headliner panel, but probably more likely it's slipped on the glass. The rubber "shims" lose their grip on the glass and things slide. You MAY be able to just adjust it again and get away with it, but you may have to buy new shims. One thing though, if you mess with the adjustment do NOT take it for granted that you've got things right as you close the hatch. Go slow,. carefully watching how things line up and you lower the hatch. It's common to have it too far one way or the other and to have the hatch hit the sides as you close it. you'll likely need a buddy over to get this done.

what ever you do don't look in to the FAQ forum for possible help

wow shelby, that was fabulous help here in the VM section... he posted in the correct section for his concerns.... awesome presentation of leadership youve performed here

Thanks for all the input guys, hopefully I'll be able to check this stuff out tomorrow at work as it's been too cold here to really feel like messing around outside with anything car wise.