T56 adapter kit FEELER

mstieg

Background: After a loooong 2-3 year dealing with Chad that fell through when he disappeared completely, I was finally able to track down one of his T56 adapter kits that is meant for the LT1 6 speed from the 93-97 5.7 liter Camaro/Firebird. Chad had a custom Fidanza flywheel designed for this also.

Chad's adapter plate is an 1/8" too thin, so I had to get a shim plate made. A buddy of mine works at a CNC shop and was able to draw up the mill design to copy the adapter plate, so I am adding the shim to match perfectly. Since the work is already done, I want to gauge if any others might seriously want to go for the same LT1 swap??. The only thing left is to make is the trans support brace, slave adapter, and rear pinion torque tube adapter for the stout GM 1340 u-joint. These can be done easily and are only limited by cost, of which the CNC work would be minimal, unlike hundreds for hiring a typical CNC shop. This plate would be exact, not hand-made, and have threaded nuts welded on for the starter, unlike Chads which requires removing the trans to access bolts on iside of the bell.

Also needed for the swap:

- Fidanza T56 flywheel - Available from Fidanza $443+ship?

http://www.streetperformance.com/SPEEDgate/Fidanza/f_productdisplay.php?brandID=101343&VehicleID=2384&EngineConfigID=567&sku=2078089&hdwt=31101&loc=101&dealer=no&company_id=101343

- LT1 clutch $250+

- LT1 T56 trans & shifter $900+ for used.

- custom Vette T56 "shouldered" pressure plate bolts. These act as dowels in the Fidanza. Regular bolts won't hold. $ = ??

- get driveshaft made $200+

The purpose of this swap is to use this trans which lines up the shifter perfectly in stock position to enable higher hp to hit the wheels safely while the stocker tops out around 300hp WHILE using the LT1 clutch. With more surface area than the SQ 240mm clutch and a huge LT1 clutch market, you get stock pedal with more hold than ever needed at decent pricing. By swapping the rear to 4.22s, gears 1-4 return to streetable near stock ratios while 5th and 6th would allow for pretty low cruising rpms.

Bill Hincher's T56 custom bell housing?: I reached out to Bill to see if my plate could work WITH his bell, but have not heard back. My HOPE is that my one-off plate could be used WITH his bell to allow the 1st gen LT1 tranny to also work. Bill's bell is designed for the newer LS1 T56 of which I'm not familiar with. His bell is also designed for the smaller SQ 240mm flywheel and clutch, which is a PUSH-style engagement, while the LT1 clutch & trans is a PULL-style. I assume the LS1 shifter still lines up well? There is a depth difference in the input shafts also - but my hope is this can be figured out by simply altering the thickness of "my" adapter plate shim. I'm not sure if/how the slave adapter could be made to work. I'd love for his bell to work for both the LT1 clutch/trans AND the SQ clutch/trans but I'm not sure that's possible or his intent.

Long story short - I'm willing to quote the rest of the needed parts to make this adapter kit available again IF enough of you indicate SERIOUS interest to warrant pursing this further. I am NOT wanting to step on any toes, NOT wanting to compete with or copy anybody's previous/current work, and NOT in this for profit. Just simply want to share the work that I already had to get done to finish this swap. If Chad were to reappear, this would cease to even be considered or he would get paid what he wants as CHAD made this kit initially and he's the one that put the R&D into it years ago. I'm simply improving it and considering making it available bec. he's MIA. If he actually has kits collecting dust that he'd like to sell, I can help by offering the 1/8" shim plates to make his fit right. Fidanza flywheels and PP bolts would be needed either way however. I can seek those and price if interest dicates. Cost of this kit would be limited only by price of materials plus more than reasonable production expense at the shop.

Who's interested? Thoughts?

Edited by mstieg

Interesting idea on the turbo 350. If the bell pattern is the same it would just be a depth issue assuming the shifter lines up/needs tunnel mods. The plate can be made to any thickness. No Fidanza then of course.

Interesting idea on the turbo 350. If the bell pattern is the same it would just be a depth issue assuming the shifter lines up/needs tunnel mods. The plate can be made to any thickness. No Fidanza then of course.

T350 and t56 bolt up same way, only question would be spacer/adapter for auto flywheel or custom flywheel.

I seen someone sell one of these kits not long ago with a spacer adapter for the flywheel. Meaning you should be able to do that, I imagine the adapter would need to offset the flywheel as much as the adapter at minimum

Shifter would be cable linkages, so line up issues, cooling lines can come off and 90 if needed be.

Edited by Skullzaflare

Always though of going with Bill's rout myself as he is ~45 min away from me. I've had my phantom RPM spike issue I have delt with keeping me from really beating on it in the 4.5-7K ranges, and I have also never upped the boost yet so have not "needed" yet. Once I get that time and $ (new car has been getting all the goodies lately) I iwll have a new ECU and be GTG and will more then likely need the upgrade.

So If I am reading right, bills setup uses the stock clutch setup? And Chads uses the LS1 clutch setup? I see Findanza offers that flywheel on there website (or did) so my guess is you can still order them. I like the LS1 clutch setup better (more choices) and most are lighter then the ACT extrem PP and full faced race disk I have in there now. They also have more area and more holding power. But it would be nice to not have to rebuy stuff that is already working.

Always though of going with Bill's rout myself as he is ~45 min away from me. I've had my phantom RPM spike issue I have delt with keeping me from really beating on it in the 4.5-7K ranges, and I have also never upped the boost yet so have not "needed" yet. Once I get that time and $ (new car has been getting all the goodies lately) I iwll have a new ECU and be GTG and will more then likely need the upgrade.

So If I am reading right, bills setup uses the stock clutch setup? And Chads uses the LS1 clutch setup? I see Findanza offers that flywheel on there website (or did) so my guess is you can still order them. I like the LS1 clutch setup better (more choices) and most are lighter then the ACT extrem PP and full faced race disk I have in there now. They also have more area and more holding power. But it would be nice to not have to rebuy stuff that is already working.

^ ^ Close but not quite. Bill's uses the stock SQ clutch and flywheel, but the newer gen LS1 T56, while Chads/my plate uses the LT1 clutch, LT1 trans. Bill said they are very close with exception of the input shaft length, and I'm not aware of other differences or confirmed similarities. This is a feeler and I will be relying on others' input on where to take it.

And yes, I wanted softer than the very tough ACT Xtreme PP also.

^ yeah the extrem PP is bad. I can't believe how stiff it is.... atleast for being a hydrolic clutch. If it was all just physical lever I could understand, but it's not. Edited by jszucs

the Conquest clutch petal is about 3 inches longer then most clutch petals so it may feel like the pressure plateis weaker then it actualy is

Weaker? My god man, it's harder to put down then my non hydrolic in my 69 camaro...... .any harder and it's going to take both feet.

I mean serioulsy I'm no pip squeek and it took about a weeks worth of driving till I built my leg up and was fully putting it down on quick shifts.

Edited by jszucs

^ ^ Close but not quite. Bill's uses the stock SQ clutch and flywheel, but the newer gen LS1 T56, while Chads/my plate uses the LT1 clutch, LT1 trans. Bill said they are very close with exception of the input shaft length, and I'm not aware of other differences or confirmed similarities. This is a feeler and I will be relying on others' input on where to take it.

And yes, I wanted softer than the very tough ACT Xtreme PP also.

im not sure what the aftermarket parts are, but i know the flywheel from a 4.3 manual will fit a 350, im not sure of the nv3500 uses the same clutch as the t56 though

i would imagine there would be good support since the syclone and typhoon

im not sure what the aftermarket parts are, but i know the flywheel from a 4.3 manual will fit a 350, im not sure of the nv3500 uses the same clutch as the t56 though

i would imagine there would be good support since the syclone and typhoon

Syclones and typhoons are all autos.

Part of what made them rediculous. You would put them in N floor it and wrack it back into D.

You could also hold the brake and floor it, the rears would light up and when you let off the fronts would just yank it forward. This way built boost too.

Edited by jszucs

• 2 weeks later...

No word back from Bill on whether I can possibly help to have his bell work with the LT1 clutch or not. Thanks jszucs for alerting that Fidanza still offers the CON2 T-56 flywheel, so no expensive GP order is needed. A call to them could even net a lower negotiated price for potential stock since there are definitely no buyers without Chad's kit.

I have my shim for the adapter plate now and can easily have more made to the correct overall thickness.

I will not go further into having the other parts of the kit re-designed unless there is serious interest. Again, not looking to make money here...just make available again (and better), what looks to be a GREAT swap option.

Let me know guys. Mods feel free to move this to Trans Swap if you see fit?

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/Plate_1.JPG

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/Plate_2.JPG

Edited by mstieg

I'm not pursuing anything to work with an auto but might be able to share the CNC file I have if that might help. I'm only looking at the LT1.

Bill - I never said I didn't need your help, only that I don't need one of your bellhousings since this shim plate will work with the adapter plate I've already paid for. I offered to share the CNC work done if it could work to provide added depth needed for the thicker T56 Fidanza to fit properly with your LS1 bellhousing adapter for G54b. I asked several questions about this in a PM and even gave my ph. # if my PM was unclear. I did not heard back. Sorry if I was unclear at all. I defer to those who know as I'm not familiar with the LS1 vs LT1 differences beyond input shaft depth and push vs. pull style clutches?

I'm simpy trying to help the community is all. If nothing happens with this no worries - less time & risk for me. Figured I'd at least offer after the huge PITA it was to find a Chad kit and then make it work.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The adapter plate and slave/crossmember support mounts will be fairly cheap. Looking likely to come in below Chad's previous price of $450 for the kit. Still need a final quote on it and the rear pinion adapter.

To clarify - this is for the LT1 trans with bigger LT1 clutch (of which there are many many options) and custom T56 Fidanza flywheel (see 1st post above)

Bill's bell will be perfect for the LS1 trans w/ SQ clutch options and stock/240 Fidanza flywheel.

Who is seriously interested in LT1 swap?

Bill's bell will be perfect for the LS1 trans w/ SQ clutch options and stock/240 Fidanza flywheel.

Who is seriously interested in LT1 swap?

I am but Bills option fits better for me as I have the clutch and flywheel already, and the LS1 is a newer trans IIRC. + he lives 45 min away.