TEP Stage 2 T3/T4 Turbo Kit anyone use it yet?

302ci

The hx35 is 12cm housing and I'm pretty sure they are all twin scroll. Hy35 is a 9cm housing so it should spool a good bit faster. I reading were another member put the hy35 and had good spool but I forget the exact numbers. I don't have mine all finished up yet but she be soon! I figured I would give the hy35 a try just because I didnt want to spend 200 on a bep housing for the hx35 just to have a smaller exhaust housing when the hy35 already has that.

u can dig up solid 2.6 turbo proven combinations.

Another/better source is the turboford.org has enough info to make your head spin.

Turbos behave identical on thier 2.3 sohc as our 2.6 (from my observation). They r light years ahead of us tho.

60-1 t3/t4 proven excellent, especially for low boost (under 20psi) daily drivers..... with the ETs to prove it

In fact, depending on hotside can spinup too fast, actually making tq a problem. Ask Tainter

o yea forgot to mention your gonna have to run a external waste gate with a holset

LOTS of ol school 10sec 2 valve street cars (z31, 2.3 fords, GNs etc) ran int wg and manual boost controllers. Beware the hype

I posted a stock block 2.3 ford way back with a Holset hy35w + diy header + still integral wastegate

421hp at 5700 and 440ft#'s at 4600rpms = excellent responsive daily driver. Full wt 5spd car. ET 10.8

LOTS of ol school 10sec 2 valve street cars (z31, 2.3 fords, GNs etc) ran int wg and manual boost controllers. Beware the hype

I posted a stock block 2.3 ford way back with a Holset hy35w + diy header + still integral wastegate

421hp at 5700 and 440ft#'s at 4600rpms = excellent responsive daily driver. Full wt 5spd car. ET 10.8

It's not hype.... an EBC, and an external gate is always a better choice. Just on the hotside flow being less turbulent, and the exit being dedicated to exaust flow. + the contorl is totally worth it. Only down side is more $, and more stuff to install, plumb and configure.

Just curios what boost levels were they running?

2.3 ford, 30-32psi got him his 10.8. Hy35 not that 'big' a turbo

It's not hype.... an EBC, and an external gate is always a better choice.

better choice for who..... you or them(abovementioned 10 sec dailys) ?

None of them didn't think so or need it. Boost set and held rock solid. What more should it do ?

Some folks "think" a billet wheel and dual ballbearing is a better choice too.

While other folks(like above) have met their goals perfectly with ol crappy journal bearing int wg mules, sized/setup correcty.

Fact, no hype

Please don't go with a small BEP exhaust housing...

I run the .70 a/r BEP housing on an 8 blade hx35 and i love it but I would probably have got something a little bigger If I had to go back.

I am still TBI (megasquirt ecu) and have basically passed the 300whp mark with this setup

I figured they were running over 25. They don't need an external wastegate because the holset is made to run 25+ psi the internal gates are them are small and say your trying to run under 20psi that's a prob and you will have boost creep. Over 25 yes your fine. But how many people have a starion running at 25 psi on a turbo flows close to 60lb/min?

I have both a hx40 pro in a .70bep and a hx35w in a mits flanged bep with interenal gate. I have made 450+ whp on the hx40 and run out of injector. I can daily the car without problems. never got a chance to run the hx35. ill keep my old diesel turbo

better choice for who..... you or them(abovementioned 10 sec dailys) ?

None of them didn't think so or need it. Boost set and held rock solid. What more should it do ?

Some folks "think" a billet wheel and dual ballbearing is a better choice too.

While other folks(like above) have met their goals perfectly with ol crappy journal bearing int wg mules, sized/setup correcty.

Fact, no hype

For anyone. Just to have 2 level contorl at the push of a button from the driver seat is better....especialy for a daily. It's better for a quicker spool up. I'll agree the spool up diffrence can be minimal in some applications. It's better in giving you a wide range IE from whatever physical spring presure is to the sky is the limit. It's better in having the ablity to let smaller amounts pass though an external for contorl, where as most internals are open or closed.

I'm not saying it can't be done with an interanl gate (nor that an interal gate is not fine for most), but you can always do it better with an external gate. IE if there was no price, labor, setup ECT no other diffrences, other then a bit better performace which one would you choose?

Ok and after pondering more, there could also be space, and heat issues that could make an internal more practical..... As well as turbos with built in recirculation.

Edited by jszucs

They don't need an external wastegate because the holset is made to run 25+ psi the internal gates are them are small and say your trying to run under 20psi that's a prob and you will have boost creep. Over 25 yes your fine. But how many people have a starion running at 25 psi on a turbo flows close to 60lb/min?

if the hx "sweet spot" is 32, and 20 is the goal or limit..... pick a turbo better suited for the job?

60-1 perhaps? delivers on the 2.6. Tainter et 12.4 @14psi. Q et 11.8 at 22-23psi.

tho some have run lower boost on holsets via different cannisters, external spring, porting, etc. Less hassle/expense than an ext?

^ agreed while you can force that series of turbo into lower boost numbers, your forcing it there and you would be much better suited to pick something that is optimal to run there. Unless your looking at running an external gate for the sake of having a just puttsing it around on a low boost setting for MPG streetablity ect, and then really spinning it up on a high boost setting when you really want it just all out balz to the wall. The duel feature is nice, but it's more parts, more $, more labor, more planning, and setup / tune cost time issues and or all.

but you can always do it better with an external gate.

False, but you've been sold on thinkin that way .....precisely what feeds hype.

EBC and externals won't do squat for many setups

when u scroll thru their(abovementioned) combinations its strictly business, no fat. just clever effective mods

many run 'street' OR 'strip' trim. Take that 2.3 for example. Unless he also had a button to drain out his Torco race additive/replenish pump gas and unbolt the slicks/return to street radials..... push-button boost control won't be "totally worth it". More like totally worthless.

There r soooo many paths to a goal. Do whatever works best for you

False, but you've been sold on thinkin that way .....precisely what feeds hype.

EBC and externals won't do squat for many setups

when u scroll thru their(abovementioned) combinations its strictly business, no fat. just clever effective mods

many run 'street' OR 'strip' trim. Take that 2.3 for example. Unless he also had a button to drain out his Torco race additive/replenish pump gas and unbolt the slicks/return to street radials..... push-button boost control won't be "totally worth it". More like totally worthless.

There r soooo many paths to a goal. Do whatever works best for you

we were not talking about a street only or strip only car. From my understanding the OP wanted a car for multi functions, and for multi funcitons you can gain way more contorl out of an external gate then you can an internal gate especialy when your trying to keep boost down below where a turbo really wants to be run, and even more so the bigger you get in turbos. To me it's kindof like a static drop VS air ride or hydros.

But as for an all out balz to the wall setup, and extermal would also allow boost quicker (very marginal but 10ths count in quarter mile) it also allows you to play with things like anti lag and better use a 2 step ECT.

Also just the better design flow and less turbulence inside the hot side of an externaly gated turbo is a major advantage. Think about it would you rather a 3" hole in the back of your turbo to flow as much exaust gases as possible, or do you want 1/4th of that hole taken up by a flapper valve and 2nd path for exaust gasses. + the flapper valve and arm creats turbulence and it's contorl is much less then an external. There are major advantages right there. Rather then a devoced housing, you have the path completly divoced away from the turbo even.

Edited by jszucs

OP asked about TEP t3/t4 for street an occasional strip use. Some good feedback and alternatives produced in this thread

I just chimed in to show how quick some have gone with simple sensible setups.

Many can't figure out how to make int wg work properly, so they just throw money at the problem... and thats fine.

For 'big turbo' aftermarket setups, ext wg is the only option. That user wouldn't start this type of thread.

Look, dummys can't build 10sec daily 2 valve 4/6s and have them last for years. If ebc & ext were "so advantageous", they'd run 'em.

I'm afraid, I seriously doubt you'll ever understand that

as for personal preference ? .....jinx thinks exactly like those clever folk. ;)

• Like 1

OP asked about TEP t3/t4 for street an occasional strip use. Some good feedback and alternatives produced in this thread

I just chimed in to show how quick some have gone with simple sensible setups.

Many can't figure out how to make int wg work properly, so they just throw money at the problem... and thats fine.

For 'big turbo' aftermarket setups, ext wg is the only option. That user wouldn't start this type of thread.

Look, dummys can't build 10sec daily 2 valve 4/6s and have them last for years. If ebc & ext were "so advantageous", they'd run 'em.

I'm afraid, I seriously doubt you'll ever understand that

as for personal preference ? .....jinx thinks exactly like those clever folk. ;)

Side by side the same two turbos one with an external housing, and one with an internal housing, the external housing is going to out perforom the internal becuase of the better flow charteristics of the hotside housing not having to be shared with the external gate.

It's just like they try and devorce the internal gate exaust paths, an external can't get more divorced then not there. There is a reason for devorcing the housing, and can't get more divorced then not there, so that's all the proff I need right there. Unless I was going for a stock / stockish setup I would always choose an external just on that alone.

i used to be a internal gate guy. running a ebay special t3 (52/76mm if i remember right) at 17psi. i switched to a external 44mm on the same turbo, and it was like two different cars, seemed to pull harder and spool faster

this was in a .58 a/r hotside

next note, i am running a big h1c with BEP's 70 a/r t3 hotside (same one for hx35)

its not bad, i had it set to 15psi until recently, but on a stock cam it starts to boost at 2600, after 3000 it slams to 15, (now on 20)

i am thinking about putting a smaller turbo back on, just to bring back some bottom end

• 2 weeks later...
A buddy back home is going to give me a 20g for free (used to be mine anyway). He also will b hooking me up with a evo3 16g. But I'm not sure I wanna put em on with stock injectors even at low boost. So I'm trying to find done cheap but good injectors for a temporary setup maybe a 750cc and a 1200cc should do. With a wally255.