South Jersey Here We Come

brianpaul98

My wife and I are possibly looking to relocate in or around the Bakersfield CA area and I was just trying to get a little info to see what the cost of living is like there. We both have a few job opportunities close by and from what I was checking online the cost of living isn't too bad. Thanks in advance for any input Edited by brianpaul98

Cost of living there is much cheaper than any of the big cities, LA, San Francisco etc. I have a family friend that went out there cuz housing was dirt cheap compared to LA. But he couldn't take the social scene out there or the lack there of. If you're used to big city life, gonna take some getting used to.

I come from a small town and don't want anything to do with the city. I live in a rural area now and love it. My wife any I love the outdoors. We want to be able to ride my dirt bikes, go fishing, camping things like that. The only bullets I want flying are the ones coming out of my gun ;)
  • Like 1

Yeah its hot as hell in the summer here too. I'm not totally opposed to middle of nowhere, I like the kind of place where I'm far enough away from everyone and no one screws with you. In the city here you cant fart without breaking some regulation. Big city Cali is 100 times worse cuz you can't even think of farting. Just thinking about it breaks about a dozen regulations :)

Cali isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

There are certain parts of Cali like near the big cities where I just can't understand how people survive. Houses are astronomically expensive even renting is sky high. My wife's family lives in Fremont near San Jose / San Francisco area and they rent a dump hole of an apartment in a complex for $1300 a month. Its damn near unlivable and he can afford better but wants to save as much as he can. I looked at houses in that area and for $150,000 ~ 200,000 your getting a modified trailer or condo. Then you go driving around and there are camera lights all over the place. Cops slapping everyone with $500 fines for using a cell phone in the car. My brother in law got a ticket for $500.00 for changing lanes and they called it swerving. I don't want to be anywhere near crap like that. Honestly the place wasn't all that impressive for what you have to go through to live there.

Edited by JAinsworth
Skirting the language filter

Check the crime stats in the area you plan on moving into, rapist, child molestors, drug use/ crimes armed robberies, thefts etc. There's a lot of METH use in those middle of no where towns. I go into Bakersfield often for vehicle pick ups. Not really somewhere I'd care to live.

There is rural living in city of LA. It's not all high rises and suburbs like you see on TV. I'm just a couple miles away from horse ranch houses and rural like living. My wife's family is 3 miles from us and they have a horse ranch property. Of course, it's expensive.

That's the only thing I can tell you about Bakersfield, is check the crime stats first.

Can you explain why its not somewhere you'd care to live? When you say METH use is common in those middle of nowhere towns are you giving facts that you know it's common there?

The central valley, of which bakersfield is on the southern tip, is a huge meth production and distribution area. There's alot of low income areas there because the central valley is mostly agricultural. Low income areas frequently have big meth problems. There's a reason why housing is cheaper there.

Bakersfield is in a high desert area. Little rain, hot summers etc. It's surrounded by farming and wide stretches of nothing.

Meth heads and wide stretches of nothing.... well I guess they gotta do something to pass the time. I will definitely consider those things.

CALI is nice! i travel to the Barstow\Victorville area Quite a bit for work,i really like the scenery out there, i considered moving there, because the older i get i cant stand the PA winters anymore, but i would miss the riding here in PA, but i would LOVE to take my Dirt bike out there and ride, looks like it would be a blast... good Luck with the decision

I know the guys in the band KoRn are from Bakersfield, CA... they don't have a lot of great things to say about it, but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

-N8

The central valley, of which bakersfield is on the southern tip, is a huge meth production and distribution area. There's alot of low income areas there because the central valley is mostly agricultural. Low income areas frequently have big meth problems. There's a reason why housing is cheaper there.

Bakersfield is in a high desert area. Little rain, hot summers etc. It's surrounded by farming and wide stretches of nothing.

Isn't that were the show Breaking Bad takes place lol?

Yeah its hot as hell in the summer here too. I'm not totally opposed to middle of nowhere, I like the kind of place where I'm far enough away from everyone and no one screws with you. In the city here you cant fart without breaking some regulation. Big city Cali is 100 times worse cuz you can't even think of farting. Just thinking about it breaks about a dozen regulations :)

Come to Texas bro. Cheap living, not many rules, plenty of rural areas not far from metro areas like DFW and Houston. Only downside is the ridiculous heat but you said your pretty used to it.

Last time i was in Bakersfield with Randy/Yokomo we lent a guy my set of new jumper cables to jump start his car and he STOLE the cables ! true story

lol Last time I was there I saw some crack heads and meth heads at the gas station/ covenient store that also sold single cigarrettes, booze and adult novelties.

I put diesel in my truck and got the hell out of there.

• 1 month later...
Well everyone the good news is I won't be going to Bakersfield to commingle with all the meth / crack heads. My wife just took a position with a company based out of Mountain View Ca. There are leasing space / machines in my brother in laws company in Fremont until March ~ April and then will probably transfer everyone back to the main company after that. My wife flew out today and starts work Monday morning so the plan is set into motion. So with that said I'll be buying a 40' shipping container as soon as I find a good deal, packing it up with all our stuff and shipping it to my dads up in Jersey. My goal is to set it up inside like a working shop so that where ever I drop it down all I will need is power and the machines will be able to run. After its packed up I'll be following her out to Cali hopefully in late February to early March. Boy this is going to be fun....

It should be pretty cool when I get it done. I'll definitely post up some pics what they drop it down. The best part is I can take it anywhere I go and I don't have to move all that stuff again :)