GM MAF upstream or downstream of BOV

Aman

So I've been noticing a lot of people installing the MAF downwind of the BOV, in areas like the inlet of the turbo. These same people have not-stock intercooler piping going through the driver to the TB. So, why don't these people put the MAF as blow through so they don't get the momentary rich burn from the BOV? Always confused me.

It wont go rich on decell because the ECU shuts off the injectors on decell above a certain RPM. Whenever my BOV went off my wideband read full lean.

I've heard a blow through mass air also has less resolution. Something about the air being hot. If a draw through reads 1-10 a blow through will read 1-7 or something like that. Basicly you can exceed what the mass can read far sooner on a blow through setup.

Before the turbo is best. It's also easiest since the stock aircan out and GM 3" mass are the same diameter. Just remove stock aircan. Install GM mass in OEM pipe and install a cheap cone filter.

Edited by ucw458

So the MAF is actually more accurate if it's draw through, and it's more worth it to have that momentary rich burn because it only lasts a second and you get more accurate air measurements?

From what I hear a draw through is more accurate.

It wont go rich when the BOV goes off.

If yours does then you may have a problem. Like I said before, the ECU shuts off the injectors on decel over a certain RPM. Most fuel injected cars do that.

From what I hear a draw through is more accurate.

It wont go rich when the BOV goes off.

If yours does then you may have a problem. Like I said before, the ECU shuts off the injectors on decel over a certain RPM. Most fuel injected cars do that.

What if the ECU doesnt shut off the injectors on decel? My wideband always goes really rich when in decel. Sorry if Im thread jacking but I dont run a BOV or GM maf currently.

When running the BOV after the MAS you are expelling the air u just metered into the atmosphere...the ECU gives fuel based on that value that u just dumped ....i have run it both ways and both worked fine for me after tuneing but the car "felt smoother" with my setup now although I do not have hard data(datalogs) to prove it...Recirculate it would be the best IMO

Gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

What if the ECU doesnt shut off the injectors on decel? My wideband always goes really rich when in decel. Sorry if Im thread jacking but I dont run a BOV or GM maf currently.

something wrong there...how do you know the ecu is not shutting them off? The injectors maybe leaking.. adjustment on TPS/ISC maybe off..

Gig out

The stock ECU has a failsafe mode of sorts. If it detects the Mass is giving weird signals it reverts to a engine speed based map. Says so right in the FSM. Now when you let off the gas and the BOV goes off the ECU sees, the idle switch closed, TPS in closed position, engine RPM going down, Mass air reading high. The first 3 would tell it decel condition injectors off. The last would say, mass not reading right. On the 87-89 cars it will go by the idle switch being closed first. If you jumper the wires to simulate the idle switch being closed the engine will not run right at any RPM.

If your car goes rich on decel you should check the idle switch and TPS. You may also need to do a TPS/ISC reset.

I probably need to recirc my BOV.

recirculation is best but as you have been told you need to test the nose swt for proper operation

nothing else I can add to what has already been said , they covered it darn well

If you mount the GM MAF prior to the Blow Off Valve, you will go rich at Blow Off for a split second. Mount it after the Blow Off Valve...No rich condition at Blow off. I have done it both ways. To me, it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference on whether or not it is placed prior to, or after the Blow Off Valve. There was no change in my cars performance either way.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308