AEM crank and cam sensor adjustment.

Bought a car with a bad engine and a first gen aem. So being mentally challenged I didnt measure how far away from the teeth (crank) and tooth (cam) the sensors were. They are magnetic sensors if that helps any.

FYI I have no experience with engine management systems. I may get in there and sort it out quickly or more likely sit there scratching my head trying to find out where to see if the computer is actually getting a signal from them both or not.

Thanks Rico

Here I be! I'm flying to Seattle next Thursday but I'll be heading straight to Bellingham with two dogs and a rabbit.

Gap them like a spark plug, 0.030 is a good start. The AEM tuning software will have an input logger so you can see how good your signals are. Assuming the runout on your sensor wheels is tight you can drop the gap to 0.015" or so to see if that helps signal quality.

• 1 month later...
Okay I got the sensors hooked up. I plug the laptop into the engine management system. Getting an error that says ECU offline. When I originally bought this laptop I hooked it up to the engine management system and it worked fine! Any ideas of what it might be? I am getting a bunch of clicks from the relays and it does prime the fuel pump.

Checked the battery. Was only about 40% so charged it back up. I went and specifically got a laptop with a serial port to not have connection problems. :mad: Go and buy another serial cable. Nothin. Uninstall and reinstall AEM software and change some settings on the serial port. Nothin. Check to make sure the AEM is getting power and good grounds. All OK. So now I am thinking I will have to send it to AEM and have it checked. :( Decide before doing that to get a serial usb converter cable and try a couple other laptops to make sure. Install the drivers on mine and hook it up and BAM connects instantly! :huh: Guess the serial port went out. Don't have STAT SYNC but at least now I can work on it. :wub: