4g63t

Ok. So I tried to post this in another section but it wouldn't let me. I have an opportunity to get a 4g63t from a 95 talon TSI. I was wondering if this swap could be done. It's a 2g and I didn't know if it would be easier just to get a 1g. I know I'll need a new tranny or adapter and motor mounts and all that but I just wanted to know what the biggest problem would be doing a 2g engine versus a 1g

check the Engine swappers section few pages in are some 4G63 builds.

http://www.starquest...howtopic=113011

Contact Bill hincher. he makes the bell housing for just about any transmission you want, to any engine you want.

Also he makes engine and trans mounts for your project you described.

Bill Hincher

http://www.billsautofab.com/

OH and another great source for info!

http://www.projectzerog.com

another link.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79386

Edited by importwarrior

ImportWarrior covered all the basics. Project Zero G is a great resource for this swap. 2G motors are reported to be easier to swap in than 1Gs because the CAS is on the front of the block rather than the rear. The large CAS on the 1G can cause clearance issues at the firewall. The only problem with a 95 motor is that it used a specific sensor... ATM I can't recall which, I want to say it was the CAS, but it was 95 only so you'll need a 95 ECU in order to run it unless you're using MS or some other standalone.

Even with the 2G being reported as an easier swap I would be cautious. I've had three turbo eclipses and can tell you from experience that crank-walk sucks, which the 2G is prone to when pushed to higher HP levels. It doesn't always happen...but it only took one time for me. I swapped both my 2Gs for 1G motors just to play safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with the 2G being reported as an easier swap I would be cautious. I've had three turbo eclipses and can tell you from experience that crank-walk sucks, which the 2G is prone to when pushed to higher HP levels. It doesn't always happen...but it only took one time for me. I swapped both my 2Gs for 1G motors just to play safe.

Mitsubishi actually fixed it in the 98 and later years when they went to Evo-style bearings and ecu.

Well the 4g63 plans didn't go though. But I did find a 2.6 from a 88 montero for $250. If I get this engine will it be as simple as swapping the FI and turbo setup and dropping it in? Or is there more involved?

Oil pump is different. Block doesn't have oil squirters. Rods are weaker, crank isn't hardened, piston are 9:1 compression as opposed to 7.0:1 for turbo, no provision for a oil cooler.

Crankwalk isn't as infamously common as many think. Plenty of people have rolled over 200k+ on their stock 7 bolts (5spds).

If you really wanted to, for the oil cooler, you can take the stock starion adapter and put it on the NA block, BAM you got yourself a Air cooled oil filter setup...

Edited by 76ColtGalant

I have a montero myself and plan on going turbo but my starion parts car's engine block was in s*** shape, so I'm stuck with my montero block. Simply put, it can't work as a drop and go. You'll be fine enough without the hardened crank or oil squirters. The oil cooler from the quest can fit. The oil pans and pumps are different and need to get swapped (or you can leave the oil pump and transfer/mod the oil pickup tube to fit the different oil pan).

Here's where we both get stuck... the montero has higher compression pistons... so even if you lowered the boost to 6psi to compensate, as some on 4x4wire have tried, the motor detonates. The distributor advance on the quest is set up for the 7:1 compresion ratio. One guy transfered the advance spring from the montero dizzy to the quest one and with premium gas on low boost was able to make it work. Your best bet if you decide on this engine, and the route I'm going, is to get some starion pistons and rods, drop them in and go.

For the time and effort this will take you might be better off rebuilding your current engine.