well i'm stump'd have no idea where to go next

Shelby

Rob after looking over these diagrams , i got a better idea of what to look for but none of these diagrams gives a connector pin out ID ,it tells me what pin but not where any of them are in the connectors , also the ground point has an id number so some where there has to be a page showing grounding points (location ) on vehicle

sorry to be such a pain

another diff is in my haynes book it shows the main cluster ground as blk/grn , your diagram shows it as blk ??

your also right there seems to be NO relay any where in the cluster /BCM power supply circurt , and that don't seem to be right but who knows

i have cut out a lot more diagrams for you Shelby

but it will be tomorrow before i can send them to you

my wife is going to e-mail them to you from here work so when you get mail from tyndall afb thats what it is (she is going to convert them all to .pdf for you)

Edited by RobH

Shelby, it's been awhile but I seem to remember having an issue like this when I worked for a Dodge dealer. It turned out to be one of the relays in the block behind the knee bolster panel under the steering wheel. I believe there were 3 relays there. None of the wiring diagrams showed anything to do with the cluster running through those relays, but that's what ended up fixing it. I think I just swapped those around among themselves.

This may be totally off base, but your description of the instrument cluster clicked something in my head.

short update , order'd a use'd working BCm,,got it install'd and no change , have done every connector test and check i can do ,, and so far nothing has show'd up as bad,, even remove'd each wire from the dash connector and tighten'd the terminals so it'd be sure to make good connections ,, no change

have a use'd cluster that should be in first of the week, i hope that fix's it

a huge THANK YOU to the guys that have try'd helping me out with this thing

Did you ever try switching around the under dash relays?

to be honest no,,cause i couldn't see any relationship to any of those circurts and my problem

do have a question about the incar fuse box relays,, what is a "brand name speaker relay" , never heard of such a thing

well made some head way , after replaceing both BCM and cluster , every thing apears to be working , oh and for the record don't listen to them telling you that the BCM holds the miles for the odometer , it may be able to reset the miles on the vehicle

but the miles are record'd with in the cluster in the readout/ shift indicator board

now is where it gets intersting,, my oreg BCM was said to NOT have alarm and the one i just install'd does have alarm,, truth is my old BCM had alarm and the new one does not ,,so much for dealer info

ok the first morn the battery was dead , like it was doing before , but the hood may have been up a little , if it's dead tomarrow i'l have to pull the entire wiper houseing out to test the alt for a drain , it charges good 14.45 volts

later if this does fix the problem i think i'l reinstall my old BCM just to check to see if it is good or not , i'd like to have my alarm and remote loc locks back

• 6 months later...

Johnny the new used cluster seems to have fixed the problem except for 2 or 3 times i have had a problem with the shifter indicator lamps not indicateing the proper gear and a no start issue , but moveing the shifter thrui it's range seemed to clear that up,,it may be a worn gear position indicator swt on the trans that is causeing that , but it has not happened but a couple of times out of a few 100 trys

i still have not swaped my oreg body ecu back in, because of other things geting into my way ,

now my old cluster i went thru 3 or 4 times looking for cold solder joints and resoldered about every one i could get to , that did nothing , theres several micro processors built into that cluster that any one could have a faulty joint that there'd be no way to fix

oh and when they tell you the vehicle milage recorded is on the body ecm,, not so at least not on this 96 it's built into the odometor processor in the cluster , my 260k went to 143k ;)

but to answer your question yes changeing the cluster seems to have been the real fix , i still have a wiper random come on and you have to bump the turn sig swt to stop them but that seems to be rather a common problem all my caravans have done that

now i can't tell you that you don't have the same problem all those other guys fixed so simply but ,,their fix didn't work for me

but i do have an idea about what may cause it,, bad spark plug wires causeing high voltage to get into the ecu system thru the tach circirt , i had a plug wire fall off about 4 months earlier that burnt out the igniter modual in side the ecu and the ecu sends several signals to the cluster ,some high voltage may have caused damage that took a while to show up

that could be a body bcm or poor wire terminal connection , or it could be a flaky ign swt or power feed to swt ,,chyr has always had power to ign swt problems dateing back to mid 60's , but the interior lamps should be on a full time power feed , don't mean the lamp fader can't have a problem but i'd not be suprised if this was more then one problem

oh thats exactly how my cluster first started to act up,, it may wait 5 minutes or 10 miles before comeing on , but after that it's stay powered up even after key was removed when ever it took a notion to do so , i'd look in car and see tach and speedo jumping up and down

Johnny the new used cluster seems to have fixed the problem except for 2 or 3 times i have had a problem with the shifter indicator lamps not indicateing the proper gear and a no start issue , but moveing the shifter thrui it's range seemed to clear that up,,it may be a worn gear position indicator swt on the trans that is causeing that , but it has not happened but a couple of times out of a few 100 trys

i still have not swaped my oreg body ecu back in, because of other things geting into my way ,

now my old cluster i went thru 3 or 4 times looking for cold solder joints and resoldered about every one i could get to , that did nothing , theres several micro processors built into that cluster that any one could have a faulty joint that there'd be no way to fix

oh and when they tell you the vehicle milage recorded is on the body ecm,, not so at least not on this 96 it's built into the odometor processor in the cluster , my 260k went to 143k ;)

but to answer your question yes changeing the cluster seems to have been the real fix , i still have a wiper random come on and you have to bump the turn sig swt to stop them but that seems to be rather a common problem all my caravans have done that

Depending on how it comes apart, you can reflow the solder with a heat gun, or put the board in the oven to reflow it

Depending on how it comes apart, you can reflow the solder with a heat gun, or put the board in the oven to reflow it

i think your missing the point all problems are not a cold solder joint ,, are you fomilure with this caravan cluster set up ,

heck even the radio speeakers have amps built right into the speakers

i think your missing the point all problems are not a cold solder joint ,, are you fomilure with this caravan cluster set up ,

heck even the radio speeakers have amps built right into the speakers

I have not, however I did fix one of those rare junky awesome digital clusters in my 89 gmc s15

With the heatgun

Edited by Skullzaflare

Without reading 3 pages worth....

My old coworker had the exact same issue.....he took the panel out redid all the solders and ran an extra ground off the harness to firewall. ..never acted up again..... he said the factory solder itself was crap, so he used the best stuff he could find for PC board's. ..can't recall what it was...sorry