Modifications

bboyrez

So ive been contemplating what im doing with my conquest ATM. I am going to do some modding to it (mostly interior) possibly some painting. But there seems to be a little bit of a gray area when it comes to upgrading/modding parts.

Is there anything that can't be modded out? Like if i get a whole new engine etc do i still have to keep the ecu or would the ecu have to be changed out with that. (Short version, is there anything when upgrading/changing what's under the hood that will have to stay)

well... How does the car run right now? Most of the time a well running stock car is plenty enough to get you killed in any sort of race type event. If you're not happy with the way it runs right now, you probably have a bad running car and need to go to the FAQs section to figure some stuff out....

If you just replace things then the stock ECU is fine, even if you replace the whole motor. Now, if you want to play with different turbo sizes/boost levels/injectors and such the stock ECU cannot be tuned so you have to have a way to read and modify the AFR.

yeah at this point im just lookin at different motors, fuel pumps, etc to make it a better daily driver. right now it has some different things in it to increase HP and i dont really need or want more HP at this point. but i wanted a little guidance in terms cause there is a bunch of "if you change this make sure its connected like this" but not "if you switch this you will need to change this that and the other"

yeah at this point im just lookin at different motors, fuel pumps, etc to make it a better daily driver. right now it has some different things in it to increase HP and i dont really need or want more HP at this point. but i wanted a little guidance in terms cause there is a bunch of "if you change this make sure its connected like this" but not "if you switch this you will need to change this that and the other"

If you're looking at different motors (motor swap???) you will need to change everything from motor mounts to transmission, ecu, everything...there isn't a plug and play block that'll work with this car. As far as the engine you have right now, you can make it pretty reliable daily driver if you fix some common problems that happen with these cars, there are more than a couple people who have close to 300 hp that run as dailys...

At this point i'm fixing it up and getting it back into 100% running shape. Then i'm looking to modify it.

I'm basically going to be using it as my daily driver which will be to and from work, but on the weekends i drive to my gf ( lives 4 hours from me) so we exchange weekends and visit each other. I also drive to NC/TN every few weeks to compete in break dancing competitions so my goal is to make it the most efficient it can be in terms of gas and attempt to get the mpg up to about 25 city (if i could get more awesome, if not i'm not going to be upset about it). that's what i'm looking to do with it. Then it will get put away in the winter and it'll be back to my tahoe for the snow.

Like i said if i can't get better mpg i'm not going to be upset about it but that is what i would like to do with it until i move south (in the next few years)

At this point i'm fixing it up and getting it back into 100% running shape. Then i'm looking to modify it.

I'm basically going to be using it as my daily driver which will be to and from work, but on the weekends i drive to my gf ( lives 4 hours from me) so we exchange weekends and visit each other. I also drive to NC/TN every few weeks to compete in break dancing competitions so my goal is to make it the most efficient it can be in terms of gas and attempt to get the mpg up to about 25 city (if i could get more awesome, if not i'm not going to be upset about it). that's what i'm looking to do with it. Then it will get put away in the winter and it'll be back to my tahoe for the snow.

Like i said if i can't get better mpg i'm not going to be upset about it but that is what i would like to do with it until i move south (in the next few years)

Then the first things you should do is get your compression checked, your radiator rodded, check your turbo for shaft play, clean all your grounds, replace your alternator and replace EVERY last fluid in the car. That should eliminate 70% of the problems you will have. What year is your car?

i will when i get to progress haha. its got a longer way to get back to stock than i thought.... well i have been saying i have nothing but free time lately. now ive got something to occupy it

ive taken pictures of the wreck it is now haha but hopefully with a s***-ton of elbow grease and help from the questers around me i can get it goin again

edit-

ive wired it up best i can, and cleaned what i can, made sure everything is grounded. Tomorrow i am regrounding the battery connections, putting in new spark plugs,new injectors, i put new hoses on it already and put new fuses in it.It also needs a front windshield,downpipe needs to be welded on,tires (nbd), and potentially a new turbo, and reupholstered interior. I bought a battery today. and i had a void in my engine and couldnt figure out what it was, after talking to "coke" he has informed me the void i couldnt figure out what it was ... an abs... awesome (cant believe i didnt notice it)

Edited by bboyrez