My smog test requirements

88-cnqst-tsi

i just wanted to know if the testing here is harsh and if i will pass, im a bit woried about my CO% it seems high

the passing guide lines with the maxium and average readings

driving test

Hydrocarbons (HC) ppm- Max.98.00 Avg.22.00

Carbon Monoxide (CO) %- Max.0.82 Avg.0.09

Oxidea of Nitrogen (NOx) ppm- Max.1200 Avg.259.00

idle test

Hydrocarbons (HC) ppm- Max.113 Avg.14

Carbon Monoxide (CO) %- Max. 0.89 Avg.0.04

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

last readings on my car

driving test

Hydrocarbons (HC) ppm- 18.00

Carbon Monoxide (CO) %- 0.35

Oxidea of Nitrogen (NOx) ppm- 264.00

idle test

Hydrocarbons (HC) ppm- 22

Carbon Monoxide (CO) %- 0.44

I just had the same problem. I failed miserably the first time. I

added a gallon of denatured alcohol and 1/8 of a tank of gas and it

passed with flying colors. My mechanic said E85 will do the same.

Good luck!

Good luck!

i was looking at the test results before i got my quest and it failed 3 times in a row so should i fill up on premium gas and add that stuff and where do i ger E85

what gas to denatured alcohol ratio do i use

I used 1/8 of a tank (1-2 Gallons ) of 91 Octane gasoline and 1 Gallon of Denatured alcohol. I drove the car for about 20 minutes which was about 15 miles and never shut the car off. After I passed I filled up the tank with 91 octane.

I used 1/8 of a tank (1-2 Gallons ) of 91 Octane gasoline and 1 Gallon of Denatured alcohol. I drove the car for about 20 minutes which was about 15 miles and never shut the car off. After I passed I filled up the tank with 91 octane.

ok so does that just make you run lean or something

ok so does that just make you run lean or something

Yes. I use to do this when I was in high school but I forgot about it and recently when I couldn't pass, spent more money then I wanted to and still failed, I went this route.

i was looking at the test results before i got my quest and it failed 3 times in a row so should i fill up on premium gas and add that stuff and where do i ger E85

Um you should always be running premium it's a turbo car. Is your cat atleast one in good condition? If it was just repalced with an el cheepo cat they are useless in like a year manybe 2. Without a good working cat it's going to be hard to pass E-check.

Um you should always be running premium it's a turbo car. Is your cat atleast one in good condition? If it was just repalced with an el cheepo cat they are useless in like a year manybe 2. Without a good working cat it's going to be hard to pass E-check.

I always rum the good stuff but my PO didnt

I always rum the good stuff but my PO didnt

Ok good that you do, bad the PO didn't. You know if they were cheeping out there they cheeped out in allot of other areas. Your going to really need to make sure it's up to snuff then. Go though the whole emissions section in the FSM, make sure timing is set in spec, figure out if the cat or cats are good (or even there at all or if they just punched out the insides)

Ok good that you do, bad the PO didn't. You know if they were cheeping out there they cheeped out in allot of other areas. Your going to really need to make sure it's up to snuff then. Go though the whole emissions section in the FSM, make sure timing is set in spec, figure out if the cat or cats are good (or even there at all or if they just punched out the insides)

can i pass with no precat

can i pass with no precat

Maybe..... Do they have a visual inspection? Do they really know what should be there if they do? how stringent are they if they do?

If your asking just numbers wise.... if you have a down pipe, to a in good condition primary cat and everythign else is working as it should, good gas, fresh oil, timing set correct, tune-up, and the cat is good and warm.... then yes you should pass.

the point about fresh oil is a good one,, old oil has gas in it this makes passing eminsions testing almost imposible .

also if your engine is not runing as it should , you won't pass,, #1 make sure the engine is runing 100% before testing

as far as normal eminsions testings these cars do better then most , it's not hard at all to get them to pass cal testings with one cat

Maybe..... Do they have a visual inspection? Do they really know what should be there if they do? how stringent are they if they do?

If your asking just numbers wise.... if you have a down pipe, to a in good condition primary cat and everythign else is working as it should, good gas, fresh oil, timing set correct, tune-up, and the cat is good and warm.... then yes you should pass.

i would just gut the cat so it looks like its there

i would just gut the cat so it looks like its there

Pre cat fine... but might as well just get a downpipe, for the time and effort to bash out the internals. And your going to need a good working main cat to pass. (it's not 100% needed but in stock form where you can't adjust everything you will)

• 1 month later...

hi .

i currently just tried smogging the 87 conquest. it failed miserably cause of the CO being redicoulisly high. would this method work?

Good luck!

o btw... would having the EGR deleted or eliminated have anything that major effect on the CO level?

i dont think the fuel injection is bad. because it idles fine! no idle issue bogging or anything of that sort

the numbers do get better at higher rpms.

the secondary cat under the car carriege was replaced 2 years ago or so. the car sat for about a year 1/2 before replacing the engine with another stock g54b engine.

It will work. One gallon of gas and one gallon of denatured alcohol just before you head over to the emission place and don't turn off your car.

I failed badly and passed with flying colors. After you test fill up with premium.

It will work. One gallon of gas and one gallon of denatured alcohol just before you head over to the emission place and don't turn off your car.

I failed badly and passed with flying colors. After you test fill up with premium.

I failed badly and passed with flying colors. After your test fill up with premium.