Car Value

socjdqcer

Hey guys,

Quick question. My car is in phenomenal shape, and Im currently in the middle of a engine swap on my 88 Conquest TSI. No rust at all, the interior still looks brand new. Seriously, the carpets, seats...everything looks great. Anyways, Im a school teacher and funds are low. Also my wife is in college and our new born baby boy is having some health issues, so i might have to sell my car. So before I post it on some website like craigslist or ebay or even on here for sale. I was curious as to what you all might think it is worth. The motor is in, the only thing left to do is buy a transmission and a bell housing. Just fyi I have the front peace (above the bumper) thats missing in the one picture. Also, I dont have a good interior picture. Ill post one tomorrow.

It has a fully rebuilt 4G63 6-bolt motor, hasnt even been started yet! The rebuilt was pretty much a stock rebuild. The motor was completely disassembled and acid dipped and cleaned. Cylinders were rehoned, it has a resurfaced head and a valve job. Pistons/Con Rods were dipped and cleaned, new bearings and rings. It has new ARP Connecting Rod STUDS and new ARP Head Studs. New timing belt and I had the Intake manifold inlet side swapped by Bill Hincher, it looks great!

Well, any ideas? I honestly dont want to sell the car since I am so closed to having it finished. However, if I have to sell it, what do you think a fare price would be?

Thanks Jared

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/socjdqcer/IMG_20110601_134200.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/socjdqcer/IMAG0490-1.jpghttp://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/socjdqcer/20120812_164203.jpg

You probably already realize this ... but it probably really depends on whether or not you get the car running. Hard to put a price on it w/out that piece of info. Any rebuild, esp. one that involves a swap, can be dicey ... there's always kinks. Without seeing your interior pics, it def. looks like you have a nice looking shell though.

Yeah, I figured. I realized this would have to go to someone who wants a head start on a conquest swap. We will see. I might just sell the motor separate ( The local Mitsubishi performance place said I could probably get around $2500, just for the motor) and then sell the shell separate. We will see. Thanks for the input. Ill try to upload some pictures of the interior tomorrow.

In the 3 or so years that I've been a member here I've seen a few really exceptional examples go in the neighborhood of $6000. Most of the "nice" cars around here seem to go for around 4. If you can get the car running with that particular swap and it's as nice as you claim, you should be able to get in that ballpark. Hopefully that gives you a starting poin. I'm sure others will chime in, either in agreement or disagreement, but that's my .02.

• 2 weeks later...

In the 3 or so years that I've been a member here I've seen a few really exceptional examples go in the neighborhood of $6000. Most of the "nice" cars around here seem to go for around 4. If you can get the car running with that particular swap and it's as nice as you claim, you should be able to get in that ballpark. Hopefully that gives you a starting poin. I'm sure others will chime in, either in agreement or disagreement, but that's my .02.

Yeah thats what I figured. Thanks a lot for the input. I might just sell the motor and the car (shell) separate. We will see. I wonder what a good shell+good interior goes for around here.

Yeah thats what I figured. Thanks a lot for the input. I might just sell the motor and the car (shell) separate. We will see. I wonder what a good shell+good interior goes for around here.

Well, you might be disappointed there too. Does your local Mitsu. performance place want to buy your engine for $2500? Because you probably won't get that here for the engine. You'd probably be very lucky to get that for the whole package- engine, car , etc... I bet the only way you would get that kind of money just for a motor is if you had already had it in your car, and had numbers and running time to back up the quality of the work, so people would know what they were getting before plopping down money.

Sadly, the shell of the car won't bring much unless you part it out. I've bought running complete cars that didn't look as nice for $500, and I have bought nice cars that looked great and were complete but didn't run for $750 or less.

• 1 month later...

Well, you might be disappointed there too. Does your local Mitsu. performance place want to buy your engine for $2500? Because you probably won't get that here for the engine. You'd probably be very lucky to get that for the whole package- engine, car , etc... I bet the only way you would get that kind of money just for a motor is if you had already had it in your car, and had numbers and running time to back up the quality of the work, so people would know what they were getting before plopping down money.

Sadly, the shell of the car won't bring much unless you part it out. I've bought running complete cars that didn't look as nice for $500, and I have bought nice cars that looked great and were complete but didn't run for $750 or less.

Thanks man this was a huge help!

I didnt think I could even get close to $2500 for the motor thats just what they said. Honestly thanks thought for the help!