Horrible noises...

hippynerd

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt use any, because im not using a new cam, I did remove the cam for cleaning, but I put it all back together the way it was (and I really should helicoil a few of those cam tower bolts, but im hoping that they will hold.)

Do I need to use the zinc stuff if im not using a new cam?

I still havnt started it up, I have to troubleshoot an electrical issue, im afraid that my igniter is dead and I probably dont have a replacement, and I think that the one on my 83 is different.

Even if it's all back in order I think better safe than sorry, it's only like 10 bucks a bottle, I even put some in on oil changes

I looked but only found an 83 style igniter. it has a metal case, and round connector. I dont even know that it works, or how to test either one. I think that this igniter was from an 85, and I put it in when the car didnt start after swapping this motor in the car. Both times the igniter seem to fail while the motor was removed.

I might have to figure out a way to adapt the 83 to the 86, but that isnt going to be easy or quick.

I remembered that there was a yellow starquest at a local yard, and went there to see if it had the igniter. It did, but its an 87, and has a different connector. I was able to buy it and the coil, and wire. Im broke again, but I think I will be able to get this working easier than getting the 83 igniter working.

Ha-ha, im an idiot.

My wiring harness was hooked up wrong. I went to trace the wiring, and found the distributor wired to the the TPS, and the harness connected to the harness :(

After re-routing the wiring, I now get spark to the distributor.

I should get some zinc before starting it, but it looks like it has a fair chance of starting.

It looks like I have managed to bugger the clutch fork, its not sticking in the right position to clip into place.

It looks like there is going to be a divorce in my future :(

I cant see where the problem is, but I can see where the ball isnt cliping into the fork properly. Im guessing the return clips on the bearing are not on right.

Sigh. effort.

• 5 weeks later...

In the last month, I've taken the transmission off, and unbuggered the clutch fork. Its mostly back together. I still have to put the shifter back in.

I hope to get back to starting and running the motor. It did start, but its only run for a few seconds, and I havent seen any oil pressure yet. I think that I have vac leaks to find before it will idle.

... It did start, but its only run for a few seconds, and I havent seen any oil pressure yet. I think that I have vac leaks to find before it will idle.

A quick tip I was taught to get oil into the engine before starting it the first time.

ITEMS:

1. A 10ft piece of clear hose (or longer if possible) that's able to take 100psi.

2. compressed air and air gun

3. Two Hose ends. 1 to screw into the where the oil pressure gauge, the other to go onto the air gun (you can get away with just the end for the block if you can securely fit an air gun nossle on the other end of the hose).

4. Engine oil.

Process.

1. remove the oil pressure sensor

2. VERY SECURELY, put the ends on the clear hose.

3. fill the hose with oil.

4. screw one end of the hose into the oil pressure sender hole and the other end on the air gun.

5. push the oil into the engine with the air gun, but stop before any air goes into the engine.

If required, remove and refill the hose with oil and do it again until there is oil in the top of the head.

6. remove the hose and refit the oil pressure sender.

7. Start the engine.

It only takes a few minutes and it will definitely be better for your engine.

Cheers.

Edited by superscan811

I dont have any air gun or compressor, but I do have a tire pump, I might be able to rig that up somehow. I've used it to run brake cleaner through my injector.

I tried getting the motor running the other day. I did get oil pressure, the return line from the oil cooler wasnt tight, and I made a huge mess (about a quart of oil...), and spent a couple days cleaning everything up, and putting some cardboard under the car. I tightened the bolt that was leaking. I wiped up most of the oil, but I still have more to clean so I can make sure there are no leaks.

Its not running , but I can start it, and it runs for a few seconds before stalling. I have to check the timing, I often get that one tooth off. I think it could also be a vac leak, so I should for those too.

What else should I look for diagnosing this lack of idle issue? it starts, and runs rough for few seconds and eventually stalls. It runs long enough to build up oil pressure.

I tried it both connected, and disconnected.

I had more oil leak issues, I think that I've got them all. I ran the motor for a few seconds, feathering it to keep it running. It was making some horrible noises, so Ive stopped trying. The leaks seem to have stopped, but I need to check more. The horrible noises may be in the head, or maybe i've spun a bearing? sigh.

I primed it a long time ago, before I realized that I had the clutch for problem. It just took me a long time to fix the clutch fork, and get back to trying to get the motor running. I didnt have an oil tank and compressed air, but I was able to pull the plugs, and use the starter motor to spin the rotating assembly and pump up the oil.

I checked under the valve cover, nothing unusual looking there. but I do have mechanical lifters, and maybe I have a valve way out of adjustment?

I took the plugs out, belts off, and spun the motor, and there is some kind of clunk sound, my guess is only on one cylinder.

I guess I will need to drain the oil, and remove the pan to check the rod bearings, but that is probably my next step.

Im feeling a bit discouraged by the car, and its hot out, so im probably going to find something better to do today :(

I got the block all back together, set the valve lashes, and primed the motor with the starter motor (it doesnt really show any pressure, but you can see the oil move in the lines, so its builting up some pressure.), but It still made a horrible sound. I thought maybe it would go away after start up. I put everything back so I could start it, and I was able to get the motor running, but it didnt idle, but would run if i feathered the throttle. I watched the oil pressure go up, but the noise didnt go away, so I shut it off.

Im not sure what the problem is, but I guess I will have to take it apart again to find out.

Im thinking about pulling the engine out again. Its about the same amount of work as it is to remove the oil pan, and I already tried that, and that didnt fix it.

Im also considering pulling the motor in my 83, and sticking it in this car. Neither car are running right now anyway. The main reason the 83 isnt running is because I keep pulling parts off of it for this car.

There seems to be no way to win here, no matter what I do, I've spent 6k on this car, and I wont be able to sell it for anywhere near that.

Im also considering pulling all the stuff of the 86 to get the 83 back running.