excessive oil consumption

billbosh

Hi

My 89 Conquest is consuming over 1 quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles. There is blue smoke coming from the exhaust under heavy accelleration and there is an oil burning smell coming from the engine. There are no external leaks. On these cars which is the likely culprit? Valve guides? Rings?Something else?

Thanks,

Bill

I would guess rings and possibly a weeping head gasket with it OR turbo seals. Could you check the very back of the head? Turbo can blow a lot of oil. Rings aren't typically a big problem unless it ran too rich for a while.

Do you have the factory catch can on the car next to the airbox? Ppl sometimes take the hose from the oil pan and plug it up direct to the intake hose, then it sucks the oil outa the pan and pushes it threw your piping into the combustion chamber. Good luck

Danny

Do you have the factory catch can on the car next to the airbox? Ppl sometimes take the hose from the oil pan and plug it up direct to the intake hose, then it sucks the oil outa the pan and pushes it threw your piping into the combustion chamber. Good luck

Danny

so if theres some oil in the inside of the sock i/c hardline over the head that would prove that someone messed up the hose?

so if theres some oil in the inside of the sock i/c hardline over the head that would prove that someone messed up the hose?

no thats normal, since chances are its never been cleaned in the 20+ years of its life lol

i vote for turbo seals

whats the mileage on the motor? turbo stock? stock boost?

Thanks for all the replies:

Do you have the factory catch can on the car next to the airbox?

Not sure, I'll check when I get home.

whats the mileage on the motor? turbo stock? stock boost?

Has about 112,000 miles on the motor. Turbo is stock (but has BOV). Not sure whether the boost has been turned up by the previous owner, but I suspect that it has (when I give it heavy throttle the boost gauge reads 14).

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies:

Not sure, I'll check when I get home.

Has about 112,000 miles on the motor. Turbo is stock (but has BOV). Not sure whether the boost has been turned up by the previous owner, but I suspect that it has (when I give it heavy throttle the boost gauge reads 14).

Thanks again.

factory boost gauge is wrong, does it have a aftermarket gauge?

Assuming it is the turbo, anybody have any leads as to where I can get a high-quality rebuild kit? Also, how do I know which kit to get TD05, TF06? 12A, 14B, 16G, 18G, 20G, 17C, and 19C ? Will they all work for my 89?

factory boost gauge is wrong, does it have a aftermarket gauge?

Nope I just have factory boost gauge.

Thanks,

Bill

Assuming it is the turbo, anybody have any leads as to where I can get a high-quality rebuild kit? Also, how do I know which kit to get TD05, TF06? 12A, 14B, 16G, 18G, 20G, 17C, and 19C ? Will they all work for my 89?

Nope I just have factory boost gauge.

Thanks,

Bill

your only running 10psi then. you need a small shaft td05 kit

Take that little tin can off the side of the large air filter canister and soak it in solvent and rinse it. Go to your dodge/mistubishi dealer and get a new OEM PCV valve. No aftermarket PCV valves. The aftermarket PCV valve leaks, its fine for a carbureted motor but it won't seal boost out of the crankcase. That pressure causes oil leaks and turbos to burn oil and valve seals to leak. A dead turbo will make a blue smoke cloud like a freight train and you won't see the car behind you and it will screech and squeal.

Did this motor sit for years with a blown headgasket or cracked head? You might try a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Might be the rings are stuck in carbon but that stuff is pretty good at loosening them up. You can get that in the parts dept of any Mopar dealer.

Take that little tin can off the side of the large air filter canister and soak it in solvent and rinse it. Go to your dodge/mistubishi dealer and get a new OEM PCV valve. No aftermarket PCV valves. The aftermarket PCV valve leaks, its fine for a carbureted motor but it won't seal boost out of the crankcase. That pressure causes oil leaks and turbos to burn oil and valve seals to leak. A dead turbo will make a blue smoke cloud like a freight train and you won't see the car behind you and it will screech and squeal.

Did this motor sit for years with a blown headgasket or cracked head? You might try a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Might be the rings are stuck in carbon but that stuff is pretty good at loosening them up. You can get that in the parts dept of any Mopar dealer.

not 100% true on the turbo Indiana

my car caught fire a few weeks ago from the oil pouring out the turbo rear seal, but it didnt smoke (except off everything it poured on)

Go to your dodge/mistubishi dealer and get a new OEM PCV valve. No aftermarket PCV valves.

Do you the part number for the OEM PCV valve? All my area Mitsu dealers have no way to look up Starion parts.

Also, I ordered a flatback TD05-12A kit from Gpopshop.

Thanks,

Randy "Dad" has them on his website

Thanks. Randy is a solid guy- I've dealt with him a few times.

So here's the lowdown so far: Very little oil in the intercooler pipe, engine compression checked out fine and no shaft play in the turbo, so at this point the likely culprits are exhaust side turbo seal or vavle stem seals. The turbo's coming out today for rebuilding so at that point we'll see if the exhaust side turbo seal is leaking.

Thanks,

Check the plugs. If they have oil on them then it's likely something in the head or low compression related, if the plugs are clean and it's been doing it for a while then it almost has to be the turbo seals since it's the only thing in the system that is after the combustion chamber besides the header.

OK so here's where we are, the plugs were a bit worn but not necessarily fouled, but they're getting replaced anyways (along with wires).

After getting the turbo off it turns out that the previous owner put on a 14b turbo, so I had to order a new kit from Gpopshop. Also, there was some oil coking on the exhaust side but did not appear to be indicative of burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles

The compression numbers where about 140 at the front of the engine and increasingly got higher up to 150 at the last cylinder (in excess of factory spec of 143 max), which could possibly be due to increased carbon buildup from burning oil (thereby reducing the overall volume of the chamber and increasing compression)? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

True, but I had ordered the flatback and the 14b variant I have uses a curved backed compressor wheel, so I had to order a different kit.

true, if that metal sleeve needs replacing (probably not) then yea you would need it

From the below photo, the wheel on the left is the stock Quest flatside, and the one on the right is the curved back from 14b variant.

Also, got the turbo rebuilt and it works great. Oil burning seems down but not eliminated- black smoke still appears under heavy throttle only (so it's probably not valve seals, so that would leave the only other option as being rings). Not sure I want to tear apart the engine at this point, so I guess I'll drive it around for awhile and see how much oil I burn.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g206/billbosh/IMGP4551.jpg