I hate drilling concrete!

Threedoor

After using up 2 full battery packs and having 1 and a half holes complete I called my concrete guy and borrowed a "real" hammer drill rather than the pathetic piece of crap battery powered hammer drill I was using. Now I have about 40 out of the 106 holes I need. Five and a half inch deep holes into fiber reinforced high density concrete x 106 anchor bolts = pain in the butt!

After the holes are drilled I will pull up the pre-engineered foundation plates, lay down my butyl rubber caulking strips, and then bolt the foundation plates permanently into place. Then I start on the joyful task of bolting together arch sections!

<sigh>

Keith

PS: Every bit of labor I do saves me $$$ over paying someone else to do it.... only reason I was willing to pay to have it built was time savings over me doing it myself... now my construction guy is delayed so I am working on it myself.

Edited by Threedoor

Theres not but one thing I will drill at 2:53 am and its not concrete....

I have both drills battery and cord half inch.

If I can get a cord to it the dewalt will do it.

i've drilled many a hole in concrete, but using one of these:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Reconsales/800/dh38ye.jpg

i can't imagine trying to drill that many holes with a cordless drill.

I did some concrete drilling with a Harbor Freight Impact drill. It was difficult but worked well enough.

It seems it has also given me quite a bit of wrist damage. I should have rented/bought one of the bigger ones like that Hitachi!

Edited by Jody1

Hitachi makes a good hammerdrill. There's no substitute for a good hammer drill. Cordless ones are for stucco. In a pinch they work but not very well.

In the time it takes a cordless to make one 3/8 x 5" hole that hitachi can make 12-15 of those holes.

i've drilled many a hole in concrete, but using one of these:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Reconsales/800/dh38ye.jpg

i can't imagine trying to drill that many holes with a cordless drill.

At work we have a little Hilti gun that uses a special 22 cal. blank round to shoot a nail through the sill plate and into the concrete slab. Pretty cool. The first time I saw it I was like wt....!?! It wouldn't work for you there if you gotta run down 5" but you guys had already hit all the good points and I figured I should sully the thread with my random ramblings..... Have a good weekend and good luck with the building.

At work we have a little Hilti gun that uses a special 22 cal. blank round to shoot a nail through the sill plate and into the concrete slab. Pretty cool. The first time I saw it I was like wt....!?! It wouldn't work for you there if you gotta run down 5" but you guys had already hit all the good points and I figured I should sully the thread with my random ramblings..... Have a good weekend and good luck with the building.

I've used a few different kinds of those guns. Once I was using one with 2" nails and it would not sink them all the way sometimes. So I figured I wasn't holding it down hard enough. I put my hand on the back and rested my chest on my hand to hold it down with my body weight then pulled the trigger. Don't ever do that. The kickback punched me in the chest. Wasn't really bad just one of those, "yeah that was a bad idea" moments.

The ramset or hilti guns aren't good enough for a steel building though. You need to set bolts in concrete. It's a building code. Nail guns are good for fastening metal 2x4s to concrete and similar applications.

fyi to scare your coworkers tape one of the nail gun rounds to a hammer. Then walk into the room all casual and smack the hammer on the ground. :P

$20.00 refurbished from the Sears second hand store

That's an option. But the difference between the one you posted and the hitachi posted earlier is like comparing a pinto to a F1 car. Not even remotely in the same class.

Around here you can't use a wedge anchor to fasten the building to the slab. You have to drill and clean holes and have them inspected. Then with the inspector present and the concrete within temp limits you pump epoxy into the holes and set clean all thread into the epoxy. Then after they cure it gets inspected again and then you can use the allthread to anchor the building.

Seems like alot but CA has these building codes for a reason. This be earthquake country.

That's an option. But the difference between the one you posted and the hitachi posted earlier is like comparing a pinto to a F1 car. Not even remotely in the same class.

What in the world would you want to do?

That you couldn't do with the craftsman?

It not like the hitachi is on a press.

Around here you can't use a wedge anchor to fasten the building to the slab. You have to drill and clean holes and have them inspected. Then with the inspector present and the concrete within temp limits you pump epoxy into the holes and set clean all thread into the epoxy. Then after they cure it gets inspected again and then you can use the allthread to anchor the building.

Seems like alot but CA has these building codes for a reason. This be earthquake country.

When the big one hits a little bolt and epoxy isn't going to matter much.

Just like clearing vegitation around your residence 200 ft. when a real fire storm hits it's not going to do much.

I'm convinced the california contractors board and all the law and codes are for uniformity,

but in gereral they have no idea what gets done and what doesn't,

it's all the banks and insurance companies at their same old games.

I don't want the headaches of paying a contractor to insure and bond his work just to turn around and have the contractors board to re assure me they have a license and then the contractor complete subpar or defective work that won't pass inspection, oh and plumbing contractors they have carte blanche to do whatever they want without inspections because they have a business license?

If you have a home that needs foundation work to bring it up to code in California then you better do it but if the bolt anchor was code back in the 90's what happened to the structure before with the Loma Prieta quake ?

http://earthquake.us.../1989_10_18.php

I love living in the middle of no where. I could skip 75% of the bolts if I wanted, and nobody would give a crap. I do it right because I want to, not because "mommy" is looking over my shoulder. It will end up costing me about 15 to 20K max to put up my building, with electric, insulation, heating and cooling, and a 6" thick floor with 12" wide 12" thick footers under the walls, 35 yards of concrete. In California I wouldn't even bother to try putting up something. Cost would be doubled even if I was able to get permission from "mommy" to do what I want on my own property. After all, my yard may be the habitat of a rare indigenous toad!

The reason California is so jacked up is because it takes lots of money to keep all those bureaucrats clothed and fed. A committee is a life form with three or more stomachs and no brain.

Keith

The Hitachi above is a "Rotary Hammer" which is way different than a hammer drill. The Rotary hammer uses a pneumatic piston to apply the impact force while the Hammer Drill uses a small mechanical piston.

I use one of these alot in my line of work. I run crews that install things like this.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/IMG_2064.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/IMG_2947.jpg

I also find uses for my Bosch "Bulldog" at home.

I drilled this 3/4" hole in my garage floor in about 45 seconds. Used it as an anchor point so i could winch my dead flatty into the garage.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/2012-07-16_16-18-58_319.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/2012-07-16_16-19-37_16.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/2012-07-16_16-45-23_216.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/2012-07-16_16-45-15_192.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/nomad1856/Grasslands/2012-07-16_16-45-34_884.jpg

t

• 2 weeks later...

First couple of arches are up! I was in Michigan / Ohio visiting family and attending the DSM Shootout while they started work, and my builder guy freaked me out a bit telling me that a lift will not fit!

The building is specced out to be 13' at the peak, so when I got home today did some measuring. Figuring an 8' wide vehicle, I measured from the floor up to the roof 4' away from the center line of the building, and it turns out I will have plenty of room for any normal passenger car with a foot of room to spare standing fully upright under the vehicle. My wife's SUV with the roof rack in place, I will have to tilt my head to the side a bit... but I will just be doing oil changes, and brakes on her vehicle, so a rolling shop chair and half way up is no problem. :D

Keith

Edited by Threedoor

Yup!

Now I just want it built! Guys are doing about 3 arches a day, and have 15 left... so this time next week at this rate. I think I will bolt the rest of them together this weekend while they are off to speed up the process.

Keith

a company located near the manufacturer contacted me about a week before it arrived at my house quoting me $5500 for a fully erected turn key building within 5 business days. i wish i would have gone that route as i spent more and full erection was 7 weeks :huh:

... he said erection :lol:

a company located near the manufacturer contacted me about a week before it arrived at my house quoting me $5500 for a fully erected turn key building within 5 business days. i wish i would have gone that route as i spent more and full erection was 7 weeks :huh:

... he said erection :lol:

I am spending $5,500 on construction for mine, not including price of materials for the end walls.... looks like about 2 weeks to build it. Then I need sears or Lows or somebody to do a garage door. I will insulate it myself, and possibly do the wiring... just need certified electrician to land the connection from the power company. I understand small scale electrical engineering, and did micro-soldering in the NAVY, just have to learn the correct way to do home type electrical work.

Keith