Some Metal in Oil

Killtodie

,,,,,,well,,,,,,,i have a stock shortblock,,,,unknown miles,,,,,,,will trade ya for you 2 blown motors... hows that sound? i personally prefer a fresh motor but you may like a easier route.

,,,,,,well,,,,,,,i have a stock shortblock,,,,unknown miles,,,,,,,will trade ya for you 2 blown motors... hows that sound? i personally prefer a fresh motor but you may like a easier route.

that's a good hookup right there, or trade him for one blown and some cash so you can build the second one up.. either way you can't go wrong

I dont know what black magic kept this car on the road, but here are the results.

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

wasnt black majic that kept it on the road, it was you. car told you to park it by making noise, you ignored it and kept going

also, looks like the lady on the phone was right, bearings are fine, slap the pan back on and keep going

Edited by Skullzaflare

it was factory rebuilt a while ago, guess they just used that pickup. crank was marked as .040.

Tye, I'm looking into a block right now, I'll check it out Monday. I'll keep you in mind but I gave my old block to my friend who needs one, he is getting it bored over to .040 for the pistons, which it needs anyway if anyone is going to use it.

it was factory rebuilt a while ago, guess they just used that pickup. crank was marked as .040.

Tye, I'm looking into a block right now, I'll check it out Monday. I'll keep you in mind but I gave my old block to my friend who needs one, he is getting it bored over to .040 for the pistons, which it needs anyway if anyone is going to use it.

you dont just "choose" which, the block is either made with the port for that style, or made for oil pump pickup, one way or the other

work done on the old motor was most likely done by privite owner,, no rebuilding companys do so and retain bal shafts

and i'd guess the block is out of a D50 not a quest

i thought that for a second, then noticed it still has the oil squirters

I would only assume that they used that pick up because of the high cost of the oil pump, Is your oil pump cast iron?? Be sure you do not use the MD191432 oil pump gasket since your pick up is bolted on.

Dad

I have not taken it that far apart, I have a spare oil pump from my old block that I can use.

I went to take the front cover off but then I realized I dont have an impact strong enough to remove the crank pulley. I put the car in gear (front end jacked up) and gave it all, ended up moving the car an inch, so no go.

Guess I'll find out what kind of pump it is when I have the engine out next weekend.

Edited by Killtodie

Is that an 83 engine? Looks like you have the old style pick up . ????

Dad

wow,,,,,,,, i didnt notice that... good eyes Randy,,,,,,, but honestly. it doesnt look spun. almost lightly oil starved and heated to the point of metal separation.... kinda odd.....is that number 4 con rod or number 5 main????? it looks like 5 main to me.... im betting your mechanical rocker set up let it live as long as it did.... just a guess.... did you check the oil level before you dropped the pan? does it use oil at all? or should i say DID it.

couple things i'l guarranty about that engine,, one or more main bearing oil supply holes are block'd or almost block'd

and some if not all oil squirters are not spraying

when you have large flakes like that in the oil you get pieces stuck in the oil delivery ports on the main bearings,,thats why the rod brgs fail ,, remember all the oil is NOT filter'd

there is no way to remove metal flakes from the main brg supply ports with the crank install'd

also you need to disasemble the rocker arm shafts and clean them out

i'd also want to check each rod big end for being round

i know thats not what you want to hear but it's the truth

By now, I'm sure you're sick of hearing "do this; don't do that," but I would not reuse an oil pump. That's too significant a component. They're a royal pain in the tail to get to; an old one might be full of debris that you're trying to get rid of and they're relatively cheap.

Buy one from Mitsubishi and be done with worrying about it.