Subwoofer question

carguygibby

I want to add a little more thump to my system by adding a 8" subwoofer and maybe a 200W mono amp.

I was thinking of mounting a free air one on the left side side panel (where the power antenna would be if I had one!) using a piece of MDF for support. The whole idea is not to take up any of what little trunk space there is in our cars.

I'm guessing a shallow mount sub might fit the bill as there is only about 5" of depth available and I reckon there may be enough volume there to make it work.

What do you gurus think, is it doable?

Colin B)

Funny Colin, I was just thinking about this, considering taking those black carpeted cardboard bumps out and re-fabbing them to accomodate (2) 8"s as well.

I guess though it's turbo first, stereo second! Mine sounds like dung!

-N8

You could do it but 1 8" sub isn't gonna give you much bass. Especially if it's a round sub. One square kicker solobaric L5 10" in the right box will sound good. Solobarics like small boxes so a 12x12x12 box would be fine. If you build a 6x3 rectangular port traveling down one side and halfway down the back that box will sound really good and have plenty of bass.

You also don't want to run it "free air". It will easily travel past it's excursion limit and damage the sub at medium volume. Sealed and bandpass boxes provide negative and positive pressure to control the cone.

If you do want an 8" sub I have an 8" kicker solobaric L5 in a small truck box I was trying to sell awhile ago.

$100 + shipping

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/For%20sale/DSC03885.jpg

Edited by ucw458

I'm really trying to avoid using a box but if I had to I suppose I could fab up something to go in that corner.

Plus I still want full access to the spare without cutting up the carpet.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Colin

This is a rice burning sports car, what do you need a trunk?

Can't that stuff go in the place behind the front seats, the so called back seats? :P

I have not gotten to the interior/exterior of my car yet, but when I do I will be building something to remove the back seats and putting subs and amps there.

This is a rice burning sports car, what do you need a trunk?

Can't that stuff go in the place behind the front seats, the so called back seats? :P

I have not gotten to the interior/exterior of my car yet, but when I do I will be building something to remove the back seats and putting subs and amps there.

I'm a big fan of stealth speaker setups and want to keep my car as stock looking as possible.

The other reason is I'm 55 not 17 so a back seat/ trunk full of 15" subs and amplifiers is not gonna fly! :lol:

Colin B)

I've got a pair of old IDQ8" here I've considered doing the same thing with. I'd reccomend a box over free air. That cavity isn't completely sealed... there are openings towards the front so it might have a wierd response. Dunno?

If you cut the package floor you can pick up 2" and wouldn't interfere with getting to the spare or anything else

It looks like some kind of box or enclosure may be the best way to go.

Like you say Mike, mounting the sub otherwise indeed might have a wierd response and just sound like crap.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Colin B)

Edited by carguygibby

I built a box. Quite large actually. I still have access to the spare. It is a little tight but I can get it out and I didn't cut the carpet. I could have made the box a tad smaller and been fine. When I built my box I put 1 10". I think the 10" would suite you better unless you get a good quality 8".

I've already built two speaker enclosures in the space you are refering to. It's possible to build a box for a 8in speaker to fit in the side pockets you are refering but you will either have to cut the bottom black cover or just remove it to make the correct size for the 8in speaker. I did a few fabrications and it looks clean. I kept all my space in the trunk and the sound is great. I'm not trying to go into competition but for 2 8in subs i'm really happy with sound that it pushes out. I'll take some pictures and post it to give you an idea.

You pretty much need to build a box even for free-air. Those subs still need a box, just not a sealed box. It needs to be some form of bandpass or ported box. The size of a free air box will be smaller than a sealed box, but you still need a box.

When I was an installer, we had a guy come in with his free air sub mounted in a end table he cut a hole in the top of and mounted his sub into, so it was basically a 12" sub standing on 4 legs. It sounded horrible.

I've already built two speaker enclosures in the space you are refering to. It's possible to build a box for a 8in speaker to fit in the side pockets you are refering but you will either have to cut the bottom black cover or just remove it to make the correct size for the 8in speaker. I did a few fabrications and it looks clean. I kept all my space in the trunk and the sound is great. I'm not trying to go into competition but for 2 8in subs i'm really happy with sound that it pushes out. I'll take some pictures and post it to give you an idea.

Some pictures would be great, give me something to reference.

Thanks.

You pretty much need to build a box even for free-air. Those subs still need a box, just not a sealed box. It needs to be some form of bandpass or ported box. The size of a free air box will be smaller than a sealed box, but you still need a box.

When I was an installer, we had a guy come in with his free air sub mounted in a end table he cut a hole in the top of and mounted his sub into, so it was basically a 12" sub standing on 4 legs. It sounded horrible.

Thanks for the info Mark. I do still have a box I used before that takes two 8" subs I may end up just using it again.

Sounded pretty sweet but I would like to try my idea too but concur some kind of box will be necessary.

Colin

One thing you could do is get a board cut to fit the space where the OEM package shelf would go, mount your sub in that board and then use the trunk as an "enclosure". It would be far from air tight, so it would work as a free-air configuration.

It wouldn't be tuneable by vent or port design, but it probably would sound pretty decent

Edited by Burton

I experimented with that too Mark. A while back I mounted two 8" Kickers in a spare package shelf I had lying around. I was a little worried the shelf wouldn't hold up but it was fine and once the hatch was shut seemed secure. I was actually surprised how good they sounded, not perfect but not terrible either!

I still need to have a stealth setup though as I'm paranoid about speakers being on display (a consequence of growing up in a Scottish city where they wouldn't last 5 minute before some low life would break in and steal them) so I may just go back to the box I have or get measuring, cut up some MDF and see if I can't make an enclosure or two. I've never tried that but I've watched so many TV shows like West Coast Customs, Unique Whips, Pimp My Ride etc. I may just be able enough to cobble something together! :P

Colin B)

Good topic, as I'm thinking of doing the same. Pictures would be nice. definitely want mine to appear stock, or not stand out, saying bust my windows. I'm thinking of building MFD shelfs and re-carpeting them. also looking to put my amps in there. not much room to play with

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally ended up going back to the old box I had, fastened it to the rear strut brace with 2 brackets and the trunk strap. Installed a pair of Infinity REF860W 8" subs hooked up to a little Rocford Fosgate Prime R250-1D mono amplifier. Got this amp because of it's compact size, 250 watts RMS output (plenty for my old ears!) and that it has connections for 2 speakers that are connected internally inside the amp to run in parallel.

Very happy with the results! :D

Colin B)

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/carguygibby/photobucket-53115-1340152346158.jpg

Edited by carguygibby