88 TSi misses and sputters at boost

devillos

Ok, 88 Tsi starts to sputter and miss when i see the boost going up. I have changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, dist cap. Car runs excellent excpet for when you see it building boost. At idle, you can bring the rpms all the way to 6K if you bring it slow, if you try to stomp the pedal, it starts to shutdown. You can drive it and as long as there is no boost, everything is good.

Pulled the injectors to see if anything was obvious, there wasn't. When I put it back together....now it won't start.

C'mon guys, I need a hand.

I'll switch harnesses to make sure I got them right but I did mark them before I took them off. I know it started before I pulled the injectors (but still had the problem I am chasing) and it will run again. that sputter problem is driving me crazy. It car just isn't fun to drive when it cuts out at boost.

It's an 88 ECS. Finally got the car to start and idle. That problem was a connector of the green injector, not sure if which one that is. The very end of the tab was broken off. Secured it better with safety wire and fired right up. Stll have the cut out at boost though.

• 2 weeks later...
this is getting frustrating. I changed out the pump and fuel filter once again but no change. The car will start and run but if I give it gas quickly it stumbles to shutdown, or once it get to 3K. I can milk it to get more rpm but once boost happens, it shuts down. HELP!!!!!!! I did the timing bump both ways with no change too.

Lots of stuff could be doing it. Coolant temp sensor , timing, vacum advance, bad spark plug(s) , the stock fuel pressure regulator could be bad too.

Sounds like a fuel issue or timing and bad spark at 3k rpm's

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Coolant temp sensor? I never considered that one. I have fiddles with the times, made sure the Vac advanced is operating, and changed the plugs.......I was thinking the fuel regulator could be a culprit too.

I am also thinking of swapping out the ECU in case there is something in there that could cause a fuel cutoff. Thoughts anyone?

I take it you do not have a wideband on the car?

I have seen about 10 stock injectors go to crap...so all the 4 cars I have worked on I made sure to clean the fuel system and order NEW injectors.

sounds like secondary injector is dirty or not firing.Check the clip with a noid light to see if the ecu is sending a signal.

I have pulled out both injectors and tested them with a 9-volt source. Both were "clicking" right along. A guys helping me, listened (putting a screwdriver on the injector) to them and said they were working. Does this tell me the ECU is sending the signal? Is a noid light a fancy name for a 12V test light?

The car was working fine once upon a time then this problem just happened all of a sudden but for a while now the car would "buck" under very heavy acceleration in first and second.

Pull the injectors and send them to witch Hunters for cleaning and testing. Here is a link--- http://www.witchhunter.com/index.php4 Your secondary injector is dirty. ;)

You might also want to do a TPS sweep & reset. ;) ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Change grounds, that may help in some situations, check the lower intercooler hoses and make sure they are tight. Definitely check your timing.

Also, have you checked for codes ?

Edited by Zone

Seriously get your injectors sent off...if it isn't the injectors i would be SHOCKED.

How many times have you seen spark plug wires go bad? If you suspect spark plugs...just check them.

Codes will tell you something but you could still have problems and show no codes.

I just think most stock injectors these days are crap. Very few of them run 100%

Even if they click they could still be dumping a ton of fuel or starving your engine of it.

Witchhunters 4tw

If your distributer hasn't been rebuilt, now might be a good time. The grease inside it gets old/stiff and prevents the mechanism from work working like it should to advance/retard ignition timing. It can easliy get bad enough to affect drivablity.

Also, your vacuum advance passes the "suck test" hopefully?

What gap do you have your spark plugs set at? If the gap is too wide for YOUR engine you may have boost blowing out the spark under slight to hard acceleration.

Try regapping them to 0.034" and see what happens. If you have no sputtering, increase the gap by 0.001 and boost hard again. Keep on doing this until spark blows out (sputtering) then decrease the gap back to where you did not have any. You are setting the gap to YOUR PARTICULAR engine's requirements. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN