repainting engine bay what do yall think

topher87

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/87tsiguy/temporary-20.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/87tsiguy/temporary-19.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/87tsiguy/temporary-18.jpg

so what do you guys think? im going to keep that way :lol: . so the PO half tailed painted it black(witch is a shame cause the red was savable) and it was starting to peel. So while the engine was out getting a rebuild i thought id respary it hahaha (i didnt know what i was geting in to). so i borrowed a sand blaster from a friend and went to town. now the blaster knocked off the stock red paint np but the resparyed black HA idk what he used but damn the only thing that will take it off is a wire brush so after four hours this is were i stand.its slow going but when its done it should look awsome. but i cant decide what color to paint to look good with the engine accents , vc intake and exhasut manny and tc are paint high temp sliver .. thinking ether gloss black or 87 rio red also whats a good thick primer to use?

thanks for the input

T87

Use metal etching primer for all exposed metal. Then high buiild everything. You should really drop the front cross member and do it right. Your so far along its only 4 more bolts :) Its looking good though, and your prolly not going to do this again, so take your time and do it right. Id say red if your not going to change the color of the outside, if so then black.

Thanks for all the input guys yea I'm going to take everything out of the bay I just didn't feel like it yesterday haha I'll keep putting pic as I go and prob start a resto tread soon so keep your eyes peeled

T87

Been there,done that----here is what i did--aftr stripping the engine bay and CHEMICALLY CLEANING I etched prime the bare metal(epoxy also works well)----hi build urethane primer(sand)---single stage urethane flattened to 80% gloss---i thought the semi gloss i tested was just too flat for under the hood so i went with the 80% thing--just my taste--u got a ways to go so dont get discouraged and start cutting corners on ur prep and work quality in general---keep up the good work and look foward to watching this build----

gig out

After you do the prep work, you should consider painting it black. Easy to touch up and you can paint the body any color you want with out worrying about the engine bay. That's my plan eventually.

Etch prime only the bare metal, then use a high build urethane primer. After that's cured, sand it down with 400 grit to smooth out the primer. I like to use a sealer after that, but you don't have to unless you break thru the primer while sanding. You deffinately want to stick with urethane prodocts.

I'm another vote for black. Mainly for the reason that the outside color can be changed with the seasons without having to re-do the engine bay every time.

I think if I ever get that far into it... I'd finnish it off with a color choice of Rino Liner. Thought about POR, either frame or gloss blk, but think I'd settle on the Rino Liner. Alot of hard work get'n onto it! GL w/ whatever you decide on! :)