Mechanical head to a hydrolic head

jspecgallant

Just wondering can I make a Mechnical head into a hydrolic head. Basicly take out the lifters, rocker arms and cam out of a head that was hydrolic and install the parts into a head that was originaly mechanical head.

thanks

the heads are the same, but the lifters, and rocker tubes are different. I have a set of hyd lifters and tubes fs if you are interested

I have a hydrolic head with al the parts and was going to buy a head from a member - but the head he is trying to sell is mechanical. So does that mean i can take all my parts from the hydrolic head and install them to the mechanical head with no issues?

Essentially, yes. But man, make darn sure your rocker assembly doesnt come apart. It's fun trying to figure out where what lifter goes where.......

the lifters dont matter where they go? as long as you have the right tubes (with the correct size oil holes)?

Yeah, the lifters are all the same. You must use the hydraulic rocker shafts with hydraulic lifters.

Here's a good tip on making sure the lifters are ready to go:

Air and crap does get trapped in those lifters that chamber can't hold more than a drop or two of oil. If there's something in there trapped it could preventing the check ball from being able to seat and they will never pump up so just bleeding them might not do it. The chamber is a dead end hole and there's no way for it to flush out like in other type lifters. They can actually get full of crap and you can't clean them out and that crap as the engine is running damages the parts internally and you have to replace them. The air will pressurize and stay there and the lifter be squishy all the time and cause them to tick. If they are old they need washed just like any other old motor part and high mileage even with oil changes they still will eventually fill up and need washed out. If you had a new tight motor and rocker assembly and new lifters with air in them you might get them to stop but you aren't getting the oil pressure in the lifters like new parts would have its all leaking out at every crack.

if you want to try and clean old ones here's Mitsubishis TSB how to:

http://www.b2600turb...%20cleaning.pdf

You'd be surprised the crap that comes out of ones you know were working

-Robert

make sure you do not try to simply swap entire assy's over even if they fit , you will have problems later on,, due to mismatch'd cam tower bearing caps , and in the end you'l distroy or make unuseable both heads