Need brutal truth from veterans

Ben's 87

So I got my 87 for almost nothing. It had been sitting for years. Body is in great shape though.

Got it cranked and moving under its own power recently. Woo hoo.

I love this body style, but here's my question.

Will this ever be a dependable daily driver WITH a/c and creature features, or am I too late? I don't want to invest a ton of money over the next 5+ years in a slow restoration just to run out of parts.

Would it help to swap to a 5.0 engine for mainstream parts?

Thanks guys

Ben

I have a very dependable daily where everything works on it.

If i had forgone paint and suspension components (i went with coilovers and poly bushings) i could have had a dependable daily that looked so so for around 3 grand .

the trick is taking the time to go through EVERYTHING and clean it. Thats really what keeps things from working right, just years of getting dirty. That being said i replaced the injectors and injector clips.

everything else is simply rebuild/recharged (ac) or repainted.

Edited by Frenchi934

Honda makes that nice civic car for reliability and mainstream parts too. You can get a stainless header on ebay for 40 dollars :)

It can be reliable but its addicting and fun to drive so you always want something more and tires are not cheap either and getting more expensive tooas 16's are less and less common

Want it to stay dependable? Using the car for a daily driver without wanting to spend a lot of money? KEEP IT STOCK, and download the Factory Service Manual here: http://www.starquestgarage.com If you need Stock Replacement Parts that are used, but tested and good. Check here on this site with the texan 88 (Dave Spangler). I have bought used stock parts from Dave in the past, never received a bad one.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308