dash vin requirement?

87starcar

okay so i got a question... i bought another civic hatch as a project car and it didnt come with the original dash or dash vin tag. it did come with a crx dash that i plan to use, but it doesnt have a vin. on my old hatch when i did a crx dash swap i just riveted the hatchback vin onto the crx dash. so i guess my question is do i need the dash vin? its also located on the firewall and in the door jam. if i do need it, am i screwd? thanks.

I have no idea about your state...but, you are supposed to have one. Now, depending on your state law, if you don't need to do a vin verification, you can probably slide by and just leave it be...however, if your state does require a vin verification, you may need to have it registered with a state issued serial number.

In all honesty, make an anonymous call to the DMV and ask them. A vin in the door jamb may be sufficient.

PA, for instance, is a PITA. You need to either have a charcoal rubbing, or a high resolution picture of the vin number.

Edited by strang3majik

I went through this same thing with my Quest several years ago. I bought it and it didn't have a tag on the dash. Everywhere else was fine though. I contacted a buddy who was a state cop and he got the contact info of one of his coworkers. I called him, he came to my house, inspected the car, took copies of my title and registration with him, then came back a few weeks later with an ISP issued replacement vin tag. Since he couldn't put it on the dash without removing the windshield he put it in the door jamb, up by the hinges. I know it's not factory, but it was done officially, and my tail is covered if I ever get questioned about it.

It depends on the state, but most require a process of things you must do in order. In Colorado, it is a 14 step process. In your case, they will most likely need to match 3 or more vin numbers located in various places on the car. The dash vin is the official one that must be there for quick officer verification, so you might need it.

You will most likely end up with a state ID like strange said above. It just depends on the state and condition the car is in as to how involved that process will be.

I built a Harley-Davidson custom chopper in 1979. Since the frame was new and had no VIN No. I had to take the bike to the CHP local office. They ran the ID numbers off the engine and transmission to see if they were stolen. Then they affixed a VIN no. tag to the frame. That made the bike legal.

Bill