custom 16g install

trying to use this 16g cartridge that I got for a good price on the car, but don't want to go through the whole hassle of new manifold, wastegate, downpipe, etc..

anybody have pics of their 16g installs to get some ideas?

if anyone used a 14g housing and had it machined to look/function like factory that would work as well

If you see a picture of a 16g on a starion, it's gonna look stock as most of them are modded stock 12a's.

Just have your parts machined out for the compressor wheel, and the exhaust wheel if you're going td05h... which you should.

-Robert

I was in the process of doing that, but the stock 12a compressor housing after boring would leave me with around 0.092 of metal sidewall to attach the air inlet tube, would that hold up against heat soak and vibration?

From all the converted 16g's here, I've never heard of any problems. Forced Performance themselves were offering a 12a to 16g upgrade for a long long while, and there are many of them out there.

-Robert

...this is my evo3 16g...during the installation,

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/LAJits-media/The%2086/IMG_20101018_154625.jpg

It's a process yes but it works..at this stage I just needed to fit the ic pipe..that "j" pipe flange made it into a little project as I have to outsource everything when it comes to welding. Like that other thread you posted in my brother and I pretty much covered the steps you need to take if you want to follow through..also there was no need for a different manifold or anything basically just needed to tweak the dp and get the ic pipe connected

...this is my evo3 16g...during the installation,

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/LAJits-media/The%2086/IMG_20101018_154625.jpg

It's a process yes but it works..at this stage I just needed to fit the ic pipe..that "j" pipe flange made it into a little project as I have to outsource everything when it comes to welding. Like that other thread you posted in my brother and I pretty much covered the steps you need to take if you want to follow through..also there was no need for a different manifold or anything basically just needed to tweak the dp and get the ic pipe connected

but 1: that's a different wastegate actuator than stock, 2: that's not the stock 12a compressor cover, 3: I don't have any of the turbine housing or wategate actuator from the 16g, only the cartridge and the compressor cover for it, which will not hookup to the stock wastegate actuator. trying to figure out exactly what I have to have to make the 16g cover work or to make the 12a cover work.

• Like 1

but 1: that's a different wastegate actuator than stock, 2: that's not the stock 12a compressor cover, 3: I don't have any of the turbine housing or wategate actuator from the 16g, only the cartridge and the compressor cover for it, which will not hookup to the stock wastegate actuator. trying to figure out exactly what I have to have to make the 16g cover work or to make the 12a cover work.

Oh okay got it man. I was thinking about the turbo itself obviously. Sorry about the misunderstanding..

Oh okay got it man. I was thinking about the turbo itself obviously. Sorry about the misunderstanding..

no prob, if all i need is the actuator then I'll just get one, is that the 16g cover?

A turbo shop should be able to machine the 12a housings to fit for about $75 each.

I asked one and they said it would leave almost no metal on the cover, under 0.100" that's one hundred thousandths of an inch..

is this right?

now that i'm thinking about it, is it that i'm wanting the whole cover bored out and they usually only bore out enough to let the wheel spin?

would that be the ticket? But I would think that would create a straw effect on the turbo trying to get air in.

the compressor cover that came with the turbo measures at 1.865 with my analog browne and sharpe verniers, the recess on the outside of the 12a cover measures 2.048, this leaves me with a total wall thickness of.. 2.048 - 1.865 = 0.183 / 2 = 0.0915

the recess being this:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/the_rabbit1/T04E.jpg

so are we talking about the same thing here? or am I supposed to only bore the first part (the thicker part)..?

or can I just use this wastegate actuator on my stock hotside?

http://www.mjmturbos.com/images/16gBIG7CM.jpg

Any good shop should offer to weld a new inlet on.

it's not rocket science. if the material is to thin, do away with it and weld on what is needed.

cool, will have to find a shop that can do this without charging me an arm and a leg.

Alright, you want the easiest fitment and good performance. Here is what to do:

1. Have the 12a exhaust housing bored for the tdo5h wheel.

2. Use the DSM center cartridge and compressor housing (better than stock 12a because of internal air radius) and point the outlet of the compressor housing towards the passenger fender, so it will line up just about the same as stock.

3. Weld two tabs on the DSM housing to mount the 12a wastegate.

The turbo on the left is my 18g that is built like that.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i368/movinon35/18gvs16g2.jpg

Edited by movin on