What year was the talking quest?

starquest34

What year was it ans where would the module be? How would I know if it were a talking car? Was the module above the glove box do you think? Would this be the part number? It's MD099402.... If it is do you think it's worth something?

My car is a January 1985 Technica that I am stripping for scrap...

Thanks,

Tony try this http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt173/tonyfazz/th_CIMG4240.jpg

Edited by starquest34

As far as I know no SQs had talking modules.

Pictures might tell us what it is. Also what year car? If it's responsible for the early year door music I might be interested in it.

Edited by ucw458

The radio doesn't have to be in for the technica sounds to work.

The radio signal for the front drivers dash speaker goes directly to the ETACs unit. Then the output from the ETACs goes to the speaker. So basically the ETACS can interrupt the radio on that one speaker when it wants play a sound.

Far as I can tell the talking lady was an late 83-84 option for US cars only. Also known as the ETACS melody. Was more common on world production cars, but US was pretty select on what it came in. Technica's with digital dash mostly. I've also seen it in the black and gold two tone cars, and for some odd reason only in cars with the brown/tan interior. Looking at the wiring schematics for an 84 you can clearly see where the signal from the ETACS ties into the wiring for -that one speaker and not into the radio. I think, but am not 100% positive, that it could be wired to a single 8ohm speaker and used as a standalone. Using it in an 86-87 should be fairly straight forward, but 88 would be harder, and 89 even more so due to changes in the ETACS system. I have the entire wiring harness and ETACS from one of these cars to go in my flatty, whenever that build starts. :unsure:

Kane

I still have one of the talking boxes. If I remember correctly, the talkers had a switch on the side of the ETACS that would turn off the talking. Or was it the chime? I don't remember but I do have the ETACS from one sitting here somewhere.

That box I think is the main part of the package they used on the 83-5 cars when they ran too rich that lowered the voltage from the TPS the ECU could see to 3 volts. There's a TSB about this and cars that ran rich and how to add it, they called it a modulator and it went some place above the glove box. There should be an add on harness that went from that to the ECU or control relay or both but you might save that too not just the box otherwise its about useless. I could look that up if you want, its in the TSB bulletins. Its not in any service manual.