Need some direction for a 90 Talon

89PalermoSHP

My nephew was thinking of going to a 16g in his 90 Talon. Are there any chinese turbos better than another? He is working with a basement budget so a new MHI is out of the question. I was thinking new ebay china or else sending it in and having the stocker rebuilt bigger. Thoughts?

http://cxracing.com/

This company is an ebay sorta company and there stuff is on ebay and is very reasonably priced. Now i never personally bought anything from them but my best friend bought a header from them and an intercooler kit and they fit perfect and have worked amazing for him so far. Also a buddy of mine has a 700hp Supra that he bought one of there manifolds to try and it has held up flawlessly. Now i have heard good and bad about the turbos. My opinion is if you take care of it and dont abuse it and always treat it right theres no reason it cant work great. Huge numbers have been made on Ebay turbos and reliably so i would give them a try.

Shop DSM tuners for a used MHI one and do a rebuild kit. Can get a solid rebuilt MHI for ~$300.

I'm with this guy.

Or... suggest he hold off until properly funded. I'm not sure what his employment situation is, but tax returns for most folks are coming up shortly.

Get that $200 shipped one with the new drain pipe and bolts and gaskets. Its the EVO style and for a larger exhaust its a better choice.

250631481574 was the item #

Thanks for the link. Will this be a direct bolt on or would the downpipe need to be changed? TD05 and not a TD05H?

I'm with this guy.

Or... suggest he hold off until properly funded. I'm not sure what his employment situation is, but tax returns for most folks are coming up shortly.

Normally Id agree but the car is rusty and probably not worth dumping too much money into it. Just want a little more w/o going balls out on it.

I sold my 91 about 2 years ago, but from what I remember looking at the TD05 on that link, looks like a direct bolt on. He'll have to retain his J-pipe. At the most he might have to have flange changed on the DP, but that wouldn't be very expensive to do. I assuming he is currently running the 14B? A lot of DSM people have made good power w/ the 14B ... he might be able to get a new one of them (assuming his is old and tired) and a boost controller ... something to think about.

Go on DSMforum and look there. Lots of people and lots of stuff for sale. Might find a good turbo, that's bigger for Chinese price. It'll be used but a used factory turbo is probably better than a Chinese one.....though I have a chinese turbo on my quest (JDM Sport, lmao), it's going out real soon! It's been working good, so maybe if it's a temp thing, i guess it's ok. Check with local turbo shops as well. They will recycle stock turbos. I had 2 14g's from Craigslist that I bought for $60. One was seized. One has a stuck wastegate. Traded them both & $250 for myBugs turbo. That's $310 for an $850 custom Garrett turbo. T40B a/r .69. Pretty hefty actually, able to hold 450hp. Just do research and price checks everywhere with all possible options. Edited by Mike_StarionTSI

Shop DSM tuners for a used MHI one and do a rebuild kit. Can get a solid rebuilt MHI for ~$300.

I second this guy. Them Chinese turbos are throw aways, they also take longer to spool than an OE unit. And they don't last long.

Its got 54k original miles. Timing belt is first ont he list once its not 10 degrees outside. We wont be doing anything performance related till then either but wanted to get a general direction.

Another question... the boost control solenoid was trashed so I took the two vac hoses going to it and joined them bypassing it(but still left it plugged in so no check engine light). Does this increase or decrease the boost? It seemed to build boost better than when the thing was hooked up but I dont want him to blow it up.

if you buy a CXracing turbo, you better rebuild it before you install it, or it wont last getting out of the drive way. Check craigslist, a 16g bolt on sells for like 150

he won't blow the engine on the stock turbo. a t25 or 14b a 20 psi is like a 16g at 10. ( cfm wise ) and the ecu tunes for pig rich anyway like 9 to 1 afr.

I say check ebay for a decen't looking oil AND water cooled turbo ( THATS A MUST WITH EBAY TURBOS ) and look at which have the same downpipe configuration. if it says bolt on in the ebay list and it doesn't, the file a dispute with paypal about it ( item significantly not as described ) and get your money back.

I had a 95 GSX with a ebay 16g ( came with it, and didn't know it was ebay ) and it held up for over 30k miles, it had a little shaft play but didn't smoke at all surprisingly.

is he aware that the timeing belt on a turbo 2.0 has a life of aprox 20-25k miles,,and he needs to make sure the auto adjuster is

adjust'd all the way down so it basicly can not back off ,,belt jump is a bad thing

maybe with an autozone belt that might be the case...

get a good HKS timing belt and it will last like 80k and a new tensioner.

Dont go china,theyre junk. I found mine on craigslist for a whopping $200 bucks with a little shaft play and it still only has a little bit of shaft play believe it or not.

Almost every story I've seen of an off brand turbo from china lasted for either 1 real good boost or like 10.

http://cxracing.com/

This company is an ebay sorta company and there stuff is on ebay and is very reasonably priced. Now i never personally bought anything from them but my best friend bought a header from them and an intercooler kit and they fit perfect and have worked amazing for him so far. Also a buddy of mine has a 700hp Supra that he bought one of there manifolds to try and it has held up flawlessly. Now i have heard good and bad about the turbos. My opinion is if you take care of it and dont abuse it and always treat it right theres no reason it cant work great. Huge numbers have been made on Ebay turbos and reliably so i would give them a try.

I'll second this. I get all of my clamps, couplers, and tubing from this place. The prices are awesome and the customer service is surprisingly good considering the language barrier they have to work through (Chinese company). Shipping has always been lightning quick. I wouldn't hesitate to get a turbo from them or any other equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Its got 54k original miles. Timing belt is first ont he list once its not 10 degrees outside. We wont be doing anything performance related till then either but wanted to get a general direction.

Another question... the boost control solenoid was trashed so I took the two vac hoses going to it and joined them bypassing it(but still left it plugged in so no check engine light). Does this increase or decrease the boost? It seemed to build boost better than when the thing was hooked up but I dont want him to blow it up.

That is more boost. You won't throw a CEL as long as the boost control solenoid is plugged in electrically. So you are fine.

If he is on a super budget and the 14b isn't enough then go with a 16g from china. Some people have had good luck and others have not. A local had a 1g with a china 16g running 11s.

The ONLY good thing about the china 16g is the hotside is bigger than the MHI hotside.

If the car is stock leave the turbo on there. A 14b can actually go pretty far. First you need a boost gauge. Second is a boost controller (like www.joepmbc.com)

And instead of wasting money on a turbo upgrade the 1g suffers from other things that are screaming for upgrades. Example the throttle body elbow is a big restriction. Get one off a 2g. It's much larger.

The manifold sucks, get this one

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=EMFPRace&Category_Code=DSM-Exhaust

The o2 housing doesn't flow well at all. Go on ebay and get a megan racing one since he is on a budget, they can be had for around $75.

Next, get a full turbo back exhaust. (this is where you need a boost gauge and controller) so now you can turn down the boost so you don't overboost and blow it

Next comes the fuel.

Fuel pump is a must. A walbro 190 is just fine for 400hp

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/dsm/dsm_fuel.htm

The stock wiring on them suck so you will need a rewire kit

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/stm_fuel_pump_rewire_kit.htm (actually cheaper on ebay)

Next up is to eliminate that stupid banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter. One member said that free'd up 20% IDC by eliminating that bottle neck. This is the kit

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/stm_dsm_fuel_feed_line_kit.htm

No need to do new fuel lines because the 1g line diameter inside is about the same as a 6an. And people have done 10s on stock lines. If you do the walbro 255 pump it's recommended you get fuel pressure regulator and I don't recommend that being on a budget.

If you need to upgrade injectors and you are staying on pump gas and staying with a 14b then oem evo 8/9 injectors will be perfect. Stockers flow 450cc and evo stockers flow 550cc and can be found for less than 100 usually.

Don't forget an intake

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=FPAIP&Category_Code=DSM-Intake

coupler

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=INTICR400225&Category_Code=DSM-Intake

It's not expensive but after you buy a few couplers and filter it might be. However it's better than ebay crap unless you find a used injen intake of maybe one from www.dejontool.com

Before you get an intake read here:

One of the issues you will find out is the 1g maf SUCKS. 2g maf flows 20% more than the 1g. And the evo maf flows 20% (ish) more than the 2g. At minimum get a 2g maf and pigtail. However to do this you will need an safc or flash the eprom or get www.dsmlink.com

OR

You can actually get away with a 2g maf and evo injectors and not need to tune it right away.

So where to go from here. Well at this point at say 16psi your stock intercooler will heatsoak so you can do a supra sidemount with the end tank flipped or get a front mount intercooler. Even the ebay or the punishment-racing.com ones are better than stock. Any of those will work.

BOV.

The stock 1g bov is pretty good, however once you start to boost it can leak. Easy fix, put it in a vice and compress the top until the vacuum nipple almost touches the bottom. you will see when you do it.

So you have PLENTY of options here and other choices. Being that the stock turbo is pretty damn good I would hold off on that upgrade until later. Without proper airflow and fuel it's a meaningless upgrade.

Hope this helps.