Good source for hard drives?

vbrad511

They had some bad weather occur over their, and the Seagate and Western Digital factories flooded and had to turn off production...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2128502/seagate-forecasts-sales-rise-despite-thailand-floods

http://newsgadgetcool.com/by-flood-overtaken-seagate-western-digital/

Prices are likely to be high for the next few months..

Edited by theRobot

according to my cost trends, prices are starting to go down. about $10 in the past week.

I am seeing about a $15 varience from vendor to vendor though.

I personally wouldn't buy until after the first of the year, It looks like prices should be closer to "normal" around then.

3btech is literally down the road from my work.

the "white label" as you call them, are made by "Magnetic Data Technologies" and have a VERY high failure rate. I've seen many DOA units from them. I'd stick with WD.

If you want a boot drive, get a solid state drive (SSD). I would stay away from crucial, as I have seen a decent failure rate from them and they have had a couple recalls already. I'd stick with Kingston or Intel (510 series only) on the SSD.

On the SSD, you can probably get away with a 64gb if you already have a 1tb storage drive. I run a 64g in 3 of my 4 computers and only use about 28gb on the os drives.

3btech is literally down the road from my work.

the "white label" as you call them, are made by "Magnetic Data Technologies" and have a VERY high failure rate. I've seen many DOA units from them. I'd stick with WD.

If you want a boot drive, get a solid state drive (SSD). I would stay away from crucial, as I have seen a decent failure rate from them and they have had a couple recalls already. I'd stick with Kingston or Intel (510 series only) on the SSD.

On the SSD, you can probably get away with a 64gb if you already have a 1tb storage drive. I run a 64g in 3 of my 4 computers and only use about 28gb on the os drives.

ive used the white lable for many years and yet to have a problem but yea i prefer wc hardrives ( as far as who makes them i was told my 3b they was rebaged wd hardrives ) but its possible that i was misinformed that being said they have name brand ones there as well but i use newegg for the name brand ones

Go Seagate momentus xt its awsome! Cheap compared to Hybrid per GB but alot faster most of the time then a Normal Mechanical HDD.

Hybrid FTW (Hard drive solid state not car hybrid lol)