UPDATE #1 on my Starion that got crushed by the tree (NEW PICS 12/17)

techboy

The easy way out of the mashed roof panel is just lay one over it and finish the edges. A new headliner will hide the sunroof hole. You won't have to cut away the old mashed panel just leave it there. After its attached around the edges, spray some expanding foam in the top and you'll have an insulated roof.

The easy way out of the mashed roof panel is just lay one over it and finish the edges. A new headliner will hide the sunroof hole. You won't have to cut away the old mashed panel just leave it there. After its attached around the edges, spray some expanding foam in the top and you'll have an insulated roof.

Please tell me you're kidding?

I don't know. I've seen a lot of body repair misinformation in my time, sometimes it's a joke, sometimes it's someone who truly is trying to be helpful, but is misinformed. I'm just trying to figure out which one this is.

Actually, now that I think about this, if you used the right body adhesives and knew how to fudge the bodywork properly to make the repair last, this could work. It's still not the "right" way to fix it tho. It would be similar to trying to bodywork the smashed roof panel and make it look good again- Both options would work, but it's not the right way to fix something like that, and many body guys would call it hack work.

That being said, I suppose if the person didn't have any resourecs to get the panel welded in and fixed properly, and it was one of these two options or the scrapyard, then it might be worth doing it that way. But I wouldn't.

Out of all the cars getting parted on this forum, NOBODY can spare a roof panel? Seriously...the roofs don't rust, regularly. 99% of them are perfectly fine, unless it's got upper windshield rot, which is highly unlikely. These cars get windshield rot where the dash meets the firewall, not on top. A car such as this, I'd say REPLACING the roof panel would be the right thing to do, not hiding it.

While I appreciate continued the input and various opinions, I want to be clear I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm having the roof cut off and replaced, from everything I've research and been told - that's the right way to do it. I have local guy who is willing to do it on the side. He replaces roofs via insurance claims for a living. My plan is to do a complete OEM restore on this car and I don't want to half-tail anything. I'm looking at roughly a 2-year timeline until the car is complete (motor/trans/bodywork/paint). I ONLY wanted to get the current roof straightened out for purposes of putting a hatch back on for the winter. I also cut a small pc. of plywood for the sunroof hole. Unfortunately, w/out a motor the car has to stay where it is for the winter. Not my first choice, but my only choice.

Next step, as Coke mentioned, I need to get my hands on a roof ... I have an offer on the table from StarQuestRescue.

Well, you know better for next time. The roof is really the easiest panel to cut off a parts car, and it stores well too. Just lean it up against the back of your garage outside. The weather won't hurt it. I've spend an hour or more cutting off 1/4's, but you can have a roof off in under 5 minutes with a sawzall. Just cut the A,B, and C, pillars and it's off.

Thumpster has a parts car, mostly stripped, but with a good looking roof though it looks like a sunroof. You mentioned eliminating the sunroof, so I don't know if you're interested. Looks like it's in Yorktown, VA. He posted pics

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126155&hl=&fromsearch=1