4g64 swap in progress(finally got pics)

Pablo

I couple years back I started a thread about a 2jz swap, but decided thats to much for me( or hard)

so I turned my attention to the 4g64, you dont have to modify the mounts, and you can also use the stock trans.

plus I have a 92 laser awd, plenty of experience in the 4g63.

So far I have the block, head, intake, wiseco pistons, eagle conrods.

Im just waiting on some parts to take it to the machine shop.

I hope to have it done by the spring or summer, miss my quest.

weird that I dont see more of this kind of swap here.

Here are some pic of what I got so far

wiseco pistons

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/pablog54b/2011-11-15_19-27-00_361.jpg

conrods

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/pablog54b/2011-11-15_19-26-53_832.jpg

bottom end

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/pablog54b/2011-10-23_13-27-18_31.jpg

block itself

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/pablog54b/2011-10-23_12-05-35_345.jpg

post-15701-0-06333400-1322182573_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pablo

A stupid but serious question, what are the benefits of using this engine and what models cars came with it? Looks like you are doing it right the first time. Please keep us updated.

A stupid but serious question, what are the benefits of using this engine and what models cars came with it? Looks like you are doing it right the first time. Please keep us updated.

well I guess the benefits depend on whatever your plans are.

For one you can use the stock trans and the block mounts to the stock locations, you have to use the 4g63 head, as this engine comes with a sohc head.

I got my block from a 1990 mighty max, but some 80's caravans and trucks have this engine too, just make sure it is the wide block if you want to use the stock trans.

I'll take pics of everything to keep you guys in the know.

update.

the swap might take a little longer, I sent my crank to theguys at ffwd conection to have it butchered.

and I'll also ordered the main cap and jiggly racing main girddle kit.

thats what I got so far, it'll take a couple week for all the parts to get here

you want those fast revs huh?

have you experienced the butchered crank before?

yeah I like the feeling that you have a racing engine, plus I think it suits the body of the starquests.

my 92 laser has the same crank but only 2.3l, I mean it feels really good and streetability is almost not affected, Id say it idles just about the same as before.

they said itll be about 2 to 3 weeks before I get it back.

yeah, my ffwd stroker is sweet. ultra fast revs, and fun as s*** to drive. (when it drives)

Since mines an auto, I can't tell if the "streetability" is effected so much. Mine has to idle a little higher because of the KingKams, but still low for a "race" motor.

I also ordered this stuff, its mainly for insurance, to keep the bottom end together with those high revs

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/pablog54b/2010BMC-DSM6MGARP.jpg

• 1 month later...
I see you spending all this money for insurance to "rev" it. Looks like you're missing the most important component for using high revs: the transmission. The stock transmission can take an adequate amount of torque, but it has a hard time shifting where you'll want to be shifting even on the low reving 2.4L which is around 7000rpm. How are you planning on addressing this?

What are the "pain in the butt" issues with going 4g64 block with 4g63 head in a SQ?

Previously owned a GVR-4 that I did my own engine rebuild on, and other turbo 4 bangers from WRX's to EVO's so this isn't new "in general" to me... just new to the RWD layout and engine bay considerations when transplanting in the twin cam 2.4 liter. I know the AU spec SQ's came with the 4g63 block, but it was a SOHC head so I'm not sure about clearances on various sensors and whatnot from the twin cam head in this engine bay.

Am I better off with any specific wiring harness / ECU from an ease of installation standpoint? 1G? 2G? Specific year?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, The major pain in the butt issues with doing a 4g64 are getting all the mixed and matched peices to run a dohc head on an engine that never (okay i know 99 galant or w/e) really came that way turbo. You'll have to run custom engine management since you have larger displacement to account for. If you get a wideblock 4g63 2.0 Liter and then swap all the DSM stuff into that block then the only thing you have to worry about are possible clearance issues with the firewall due to the DOHC head and the thermostat/ cam angle sensor.

But really: check out projectzerog.com instead of asking questions like this in someones build thread haha

Edited by Frenchi934

I see you spending all this money for insurance to "rev" it. Looks like you're missing the most important component for using high revs: the transmission. The stock transmission can take an adequate amount of torque, but it has a hard time shifting where you'll want to be shifting even on the low reving 2.4L which is around 7000rpm. How are you planning on addressing this?

Well I live close to jacks transmissions in colorado springs,

A while back they rebuilt my dsm trans and I talked to them about my plans for the engine swap,

and they said they could change the scyncros in the trans so it shifts at higher revs than the g54b, but we'll see

Edited by Pablo

What are the "pain in the butt" issues with going 4g64 block with 4g63 head in a SQ?

Previously owned a GVR-4 that I did my own engine rebuild on, and other turbo 4 bangers from WRX's to EVO's so this isn't new "in general" to me... just new to the RWD layout and engine bay considerations when transplanting in the twin cam 2.4 liter. I know the AU spec SQ's came with the 4g63 block, but it was a SOHC head so I'm not sure about clearances on various sensors and whatnot from the twin cam head in this engine bay.

Am I better off with any specific wiring harness / ECU from an ease of installation standpoint? 1G? 2G? Specific year?

Thanks,

Keith

yup like frenchi934 the firewall interfieres with the coolant outlet and the cam angle sensor, so you have to cut the firewall or do something about it to make the cam angle sensor fit.

for the coolant outlet you have to make custom plumbing, there's different routes for this.

as for wiring you could splice the dsm and conquest harnesses together so the stock gauges work, but the way Im going Ill be using a 1g dsm harness(91 to 94) with the dsm link, but Ill be using

different gauges so it doesnt matter.

sorry for not updating but its been really cold outside to work on the car.

But I got the crank back from ffwd, looks awesome.

just waiting on some parts to take the block to the machine shop

Edited by Pablo

When i was reading about this swap I talked to the guys at projectzerog. I believe DJ answered my questions about gauges...

The factory gauge cluster doesn't get any of its information from the ecu EXCEPT boost pressure...which is inaccurate anyways.

All the other gauges are run off single sensors/inputs in the engine bay so retaining the factory gauges wouldn't be too difficult.

Of course...if you're using the same trans than the speedo will work just fine ^_^